Will my LCWRA be backdated? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will my LCWRA be backdated?

Options
CurlyPrincess
CurlyPrincess Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, I’m new here, I have been reading through other posts to see if I could find the answer but I am still confused.  I started receiving UC last October.  On January 31st 2023 I submitted a fit note for the period 31 January to 31st March 2023, then another March 29th to June 1st and then another May 31st to August 23rd 2023.  Then on June 10th following my telephone assessment I received a letter (UCD81) informing me that I have been awarded LCWRA.  My new statement has the LCWRA element included.  My AP is 25th May to 24th June.  My question is concerning back payment- will my award be backdated, if so to when.  Thank you so much for taking the time to read and answer my question.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,700 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Your waiting period will be Feb to May.. LCWRA starts from assessment period 25th May to 24th June and first payment will be 1st July. No LCWRA element is owed.

If you had reported your health condition at the start of your assessment period 25th Jan to 24th Feb then they would owe you 1 month because it would have been paid from AP April/May. 

This is because there's a full 3 month assessment period waiting time and the extra money is then paid from the 4th month after you reported your health condition/sent your first fit note.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CurlyPrincess
    CurlyPrincess Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks poppy123456 for your response!  I understand about the 3 month waiting period however I don’t think that DWP would be fair I. Not awarding packpay because my waiting period is from 1st February to 1st May and there are still 23 days between which I should be entitled to.  The system doesn’t seem to be fair to everyone as I had to wait until my June payment to see the increase in my UC payment that was announced in April.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I understand about the 3 month waiting period however I don’t think that DWP would be fair.
    It’s not the DWP who set the rules. DWP administer the benefits in accordance with the legislation set by the government.
    Not awarding packpay because my waiting period is from 1st February to 1st May and there are still 23 days between which I should be entitled to.  The system doesn’t seem to be fair to everyone as I had to wait until my June payment to see the increase in my UC payment that was announced in April.
    Unfortunately that is how the system works as set out in the regulations. If you disagree strongly raise the issue with your MP.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,700 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks poppy123456 for your response!  I understand about the 3 month waiting period however I don’t think that DWP would be fair I. Not awarding packpay because my waiting period is from 1st February to 1st May and there are still 23 days between which I should be entitled to.  The system doesn’t seem to be fair to everyone as I had to wait until my June payment to see the increase in my UC payment that was announced in April.

The April increase has nothing to do with the LCWRA element waiting period. The waiting period applies to everyone (unless you're claiming because of end of life)

The waiting period also applies to ESA so the rules are no different for UC. UC is paid one month in arrears, which is why it's paid at the end of the 4th month.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.