What a year so far… — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What a year so far…

Options
serenity2
serenity2 Community member Posts: 250 Pioneering
My mental health and well-being have taken a bashing so far this year.
my sister died tragically a few months ago, I’ve had lots of changes in circumstances, which created so much stressful paperwork, and now a neighbour that is causing anti social behaviour. honestly I feel I’ve been put though the ringer … obviously you would not wish any of those things on anyone. Each one is anxiety ridden even if you don’t struggle with anxiety.
The awful thing is constantly reaching out and nothing is there. Everyone is so busy. Organisations appear stretched to the limits , everything feels like an uphill battle, and I feel totally awful. I feel everyone is sick of me, someone who supported me a little said to me a few days ago….’Do you think it’s your anxiety that is bringing something else on after you have dealt with one thing another comes along’ wow that really upset me so much, why would I want these things to happen to create such problems in my life…I truly want peace..this was a professional person. Since this was said I feel like I don’t want to reach out, for fear of being a nuisance. I had nothing to do with the anti social behaviour, I happen to be able to see it ruining the building..and causing a lot of hassle, me having to try to report it without being victimised by the perpetrator who suspects me. It is drugs related and causes an unsafe building. I have anonymously reported it but I live in fear…but it seems it could be my anxiety causing it aaarrgghhhhhh I was sad and emotional mixed in with some anger 😡
 :)
Best Wishes
serenity2 

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Hello there @serenity2 and thank you for your update. You're certainly not a nuisance, so please continue to reach out for support. It sounds like an awful lot has been going on for you this year, so it's not surprising the impact it's having on your mental health. 

I'm sorry to hear that your support worker's comment upset you so much. Anxiety can make even the smallest of things seem like the biggest hurdle, and it's not anyone's fault. The mental health charity Mind has some helpful guidance on anxiety and self-care, so please have a look if you'd like. 

Can I ask if you've spoken to anyone involved in your care and wellbeing about your anxiety levels recently?

It's positive to hear that you have reported the anti-social behaviour, and please remember if at any time you do feel unsafe, call 999 right away. 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 494 Pioneering
    Options

Hello serenity2

Dealing with multiple challenges and losses can certainly take a toll on your mental health and well-being. It's important to remember that it is not your fault and you deserve support and understanding during this tough period. 

Losing a loved one is an incredibly painful experience.  The added stress of paperwork and dealing with difficult circumstances can further exacerbate your anxiety and emotional well-being. It is understandable that you might feel overwhelmed  with your situation at present.

Sometimes reaching out to support networks can be challenging, especially when they are stretched thin, but it is still important to persist in seeking assistance. Keep in mind that there are often resources available even if they may require some persistence to access. 

In regard to the insensitive comment made by the professional individual, their choice of words was highly inappropriate. Anxiety does not cause external events or circumstances such as the ones you have described to occur. 

When it comes to the anti-social behaviour and feeling unsafe in your building, it's commendable that you have taken steps to report it anonymously. It's important to take necessary measures to protect yourself and ensure a safe living environment.

Take care MW

• serenity2
    Options
    Hi @Alex_Scope thank you for your comments. 
    Yes I have mentioned all the things to my GP and how anxious I feel. He has known for a while. There is some support there but GP is busy too. Nothing in my area to refer me to. The only thing was the support but after the comment I feel it’s thought I am over reacting. It seems help and support is a bit of a post code lottery. Unfortunately in my area from reaching out I can see there is no advocacy which is what I really need. Certainly to help with the ASB problem.
    I am honestly running out of places to reach out to. I’ve explored such a lot in my area. Being so desperate to feel better.
    thank you for replying 
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • serenity2
    Options

Hi @MW123
    thank you for your reply.
    your comments made me feel emotional as they made me feel validated. 
    Thank you for that.it means a lot right now.

I guess with the ASB it’s difficult to obtain evidence without putting yourself in danger or reporting for the same reason, I have done what I can in that respect. The support is just a couple of hours a week, for a walk or a coffee. It ends soon. I was only allocated a certain amount of hours.
    im very isolated. The comment that was made has had a huge affect, as I guess one of my fears is not being believed or people feeling my anxiety is affecting my judgement. Yes I’m extremely anxious and feel physically sick but my judgement and what I say is very real.

Mind don’t actually do a lot in my area, not many of the organisations do I am finding.

thank you again.

Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • serenity2
    Options
    My GP was able to refer me to a link worker at the GP surgery,I should clarify, The person who made the comment to me was the link worker at the GP Surgery. I guess if the link worker can’t find anything to support me maybe there really is nothing.

Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • serenity2
    Options
    serenity2 said:
    My GP was able to refer me to a link worker at the GP surgery,I should clarify, The person who made the comment to me was the link worker at the GP Surgery. I guess if the link worker can’t find anything to support me maybe there really is nothing. Anything I’ve managed to get any assistance with has been what I have found.

Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for explaining things @serenity2 I am sorry to hear that support is limited for you, and sadly many services are feeling the stretch as you say. It's not easy, so I hope spending time on the community can be a benefit for you, even if it's just for a chat with people who 'get it'. 

Have you ever had a needs assessment with your local authority? You are entitled to refer yourself, using Gov.uk.

I don't know if you're aware, but there are Advocacy Services that may be able to offer support, the NHS has a list of advocacy services with more information, if that's helpful. 

I hope you enjoy the end of the week, and please ask if you need anything more :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • serenity2
    Options
    Thanks for explaining things @serenity2 I am sorry to hear that support is limited for you, and sadly many services are feeling the stretch as you say. It's not easy, so I hope spending time on the community can be a benefit for you, even if it's just for a chat with people who 'get it'. 

Have you ever had a needs assessment with your local authority? You are entitled to refer yourself, using Gov.uk.

I don't know if you're aware, but there are Advocacy Services that may be able to offer support, the NHS has a list of advocacy services with more information, if that's helpful. 

I hope you enjoy the end of the week, and please ask if you need anything more :) 
    Thank you so much ..it helps to chat here to those who ‘get it’
    very appreciated !
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are always more than welcome to chat here @serenity2. How have things been for you this weekend?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • serenity2
    Options
    You are always more than welcome to chat here @serenity2. How have things been for you this weekend?  :)
    I’ve had a quiet weekend not doing much. I guess I will pick up the pieces from tomorrow and see if I can get any support, I’ve made contact with an private advocacy organisation ,you have to pay but I felt it would be worth it as I’m struggling to do the practical stuff and be heard. I don’t hold much hope as they are not in my area but will keep my fingers crossed I hear..
    thank you for asking :) 
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,125 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Hi @serenity2 - I'm so sorry to read about your sister & everything you have been going through too. I do hope you get somewhere with an advocate.
    I wanted to comment about the antisocial behaviour; I must admit I didn't report the incidences I had with a neighbour, who had also adversely affected many of my other neighbours, as I didn't think anything would be done; none of us did. Sorry to say but it did take time, but our local community police came through in the end, & this person now has a 6 month Civil injunction/Community Protection Notice (I'm not sure which) as the police said they would not tolerate antisocial behaviour in our community. Recent changes in dealing with antisocial behaviour helped & eventually some video evidence. I was happy to give my name & contact details recently, as did many other of my neighbours, but I wasn't contacted by the police. I wonder if you got together with other residents that this might help your case?
    I also recently posted about Antisocial Behaviour Awareness Week, & some webinars starting on the 3rd. I've signed up to a couple to find out more. You can see them here: https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/107444/antisocial-behaviour-awareness-week
    Our local community police have set up a scheme to make us aware of scams, reported crimes, get more involved, etc. & I must admit with this I have more confidence that if the above person causes any further trouble I would now not hesitate to report it; I know how daunting that must have been for you.

• serenity2
    Options
    Thank you so much @chiarieds
    it is most stressful for sure. At this stage I can’t tell my neighbours as I’m not sure if they are friendly with the perpetrator ..and it’s something I’d have to be careful mentioning.
    but i will be checking out your link. Appreciate you sharing with me.
    today im kinda worried I’ve been reaching out such a lot and I think that’s having an affect, it makes me feel anxious.
    take care 
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.