DWP Change of circumstances? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP Change of circumstances?

Options
Bigboy
Bigboy Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi I have had both my knees replaced and last year in June I had to undergo a knee revision on my right knee due to the first one not working my question is should I have reported this to the DWP as a change in circumstances I've been told by the consultant it could take up to 18 months to full recovery but is not guaranteed.Many Thanks.

Comments

• serenity2
    serenity2 Community member Posts: 250 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi and welcome to you.

I would get in touch with CAB ask them for advice. They will also tell you what to do and possibly devise a letter for you to go out to relevant benefits at most CAB offices or at least tell you what to write.

Someone may also come along here and have a better idea than me.
    I don’t know for sure but would think it is a change in circumstances, I guess depends what they have as current circumstances , 

:)
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Bigboy said:
    Hi I have had both my knees replaced and last year in June I had to undergo a knee revision on my right knee due to the first one not working my question is should I have reported this to the DWP as a change in circumstances I've been told by the consultant it could take up to 18 months to full recovery but is not guaranteed.Many Thanks.
    What benefits are you referring to and what level of benefit?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Bigboy
    Options
    Hi sorry forgot to say I am on pip at the enhanced rate for mobility and standard rate for daily living.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Bigboy said:
    Hi sorry forgot to say I am on pip at the enhanced rate for mobility and standard rate for daily living.
    If you report a change to PIP they will send you a new health questionnaire to return and return. They will carry out a new assessment but then decide if your award could be decided.

If you are getting worse you should only tell them if you are having more difficulty sufficient to achieve extra points which could increase your Daily Living award.

Any change making you worse would only affect the award after three months after the change took place and is expected to continue for at least another 9 months.

If you are getting better and think you may no longer qualify for a lower award you should not tell them until you are sure the improvement is sustained over several months.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Bigboy
    Options
    Ok thank you all for the advice.
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Bigboy said:

If you are getting better and think you may no longer qualify for a lower award you should not tell them until you are sure the improvement is sustained over several months.
    I would imagine that this type of statement/argument is used by those that are found by photos/video evidence to have an improvement - but I only started to get better a couple of days before I was videoed. I was intending to inform you of the change of circumstances when the change was stable after a couple of months.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.