UC - Housing Element / Housing Benefit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC - Housing Element / Housing Benefit

Options
bluefox
bluefox Community member Posts: 636 Pioneering
Hello, I have a query that I hope the Scope forums can solve.

Am I only in receipt of the UC housing element / benefit because I am in receipt of PIP? If I lost PIP, would I not be entitled to it? 

I'm confused..

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,892 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As you’re claiming UC then it’s known as housing element and not housing benefit. Both are completely different.

You will not loose housing element if you lose your PIP. However, depending on your circumstances you may not be entitled to as much as you’re receiving now. If you’re under 35 and privately renting then, you will only be entitled to the shared rate of LHA unless you have a daily living PIP award. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bluefox
    Options
    As you’re claiming UC then it’s known as housing element and not housing benefit. Both are completely different.

You will not loose housing element if you lose your PIP. However, depending on your circumstances you may not be entitled to as much as you’re receiving now. If you’re under 35 and privately renting then, you will only be entitled to the shared rate of LHA unless you have a daily living PIP award. 
    Hi Poppy,

I am 37. At the moment I get a shared rate, so that's half of the rent. Is that because I'm on daily living award?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You should be receiving the 1 bedroom rate and not the shared rate. Even without a PIP daily living award you will still be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate. 
    You can check the rates for your area here https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/ make sure you drop the box down to 1 bed. 
    You will need to work out the monthly rate because it will be shown as weekly. Times the number by 52 and divide by 12.
    (if your rent is lower than the 1 bedroom rate then you will only receive the amount you pay) 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • bluefox
    Options
    You should be receiving the 1 bedroom rate and not the shared rate. Even without a PIP daily living award you will still be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate. 
    You can check the rates for your area here https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/ make sure you drop the box down to 1 bed. 
    You will need to work out the monthly rate because it will be shown as weekly. Times the number by 52 and divide by 12.
    (if your rent is lower than the 1 bedroom rate then you will only receive the amount you pay) 
    I think on the form I've just looked at it mentions how the house has 2 bedrooms. I'm not sure if that's the reason why I have the shared rate?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You wouldn't receive the shared rate, it will be the 1 bedroom rate.
  • bluefox
    Options
    You wouldn't receive the shared rate, it will be the 1 bedroom rate.
    Is the 1 bedroom rate effectively half the rent?

as this is a joint tenancy 
  • poppy123456
    edited July 2023
    Options
    No, not always. Your entitlement is 1 bedroom but if your rent is actually lower than that then you would receive all of your rent. You can't receive anymore than your actual rent.
    Regardless, if you lost your PIP award then nothing will change with your housing element and it will remain the same as it is now.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2023
    Options
    bluefox said:
    …this is a joint tenancy 
    Then if is a joint tenancy and if the other tenant is not your partner then you are each treated as liable for half the rent. The maximum help you can help is your liability.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • bluefox
    Options
    calcotti said:
    bluefox said:
    …this is a joint tenancy 
    Then if is a joint tenancy and if the other tenant is your partner then you are each treated as liable for half the rent. The maximum help you can help is your liability.

We are not partners. We are friends. Does this still apply?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2023
    Options
    bluefox said:
    calcotti said:
    bluefox said:
    …this is a joint tenancy 
    Then if is a joint tenancy and if the other tenant is your partner then you are each treated as liable for half the rent. The maximum help you can help is your liability.

We are not partners. We are friends. Does this still apply?
    That is always what I referred to what there was a typo. I’ve asked moderators to correct. it was meant to say
    calcotti said:
    Then if is a joint tenancy and if the other tenant is not your partner then you are each treated as liable for half the rent. The maximum help you can help is your liability.
    You are joint tenants but not partners. You are therefore each liable for half the rent. Therefore the maximum help you can get is half the rent. If your partner claimed benefits they would get a maximum of half the rent.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.