Walk-in bath advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Walk-in bath advice

Options
Florine
Florine Community member Posts: 64 Courageous
Hello, everyone.  I haven't been around for a bit, but we've just moved into a new house and it has a walk-in bath/shower unit.  Trouble is, I've no idea who the manufacturer was, and we don't have any instructions, model numbers or anything!  Does anyone have any advice on how I could find out how it all works, please?

Comments

• DayDreamBeliever
    DayDreamBeliever Community member Posts: 75 Courageous
    Options
    Would contacting the previous owners/landlord depending on the situation be an option?

Failing that you might have to have a look at some online and see if you can spot the one you have and then go from there. Or you could try posting a photo to see if anyone has one similar and can help 
    Pronouns: She/they 
  • Florine
    Options
    I'm afraid not: the sellers had very little information about the property.  I might try posting a photo here once the dust has settled, so to speak.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Florine Congratulations on moving into your new house! I hope it's all going well! :) 

As Daydreamer has said, you could try describing it into Google and clicking on Images to see if anything comes up? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Florine
    edited July 2023
    Options
    So, my first question, I guess, would be where the hot water comes from.  Does the unit heat the hot water itself, like an electric shower (oh, my electric bills, in that case!), or does it come from the household hot water system?  We have a non-combi boiler with a hot water cylinder, so I don't know whether I need to heat the water in the cylinder or not.

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Florine I tried doing a little research and found myself very confused. But, I did come across this blog / website called PlumbWorld who have some great information pages about different types of showers and systems. I noticed they had an online chat feature. It may be worth asking there to see if they could advise :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Florine
    Options
    Thanks, Hannah - you weren't the only one who was confused!
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,606 Pioneering
    Options
    @Florine I would say that the water will be plumbed in to your normal hot water system - the shower is unlikely to have it's own heating system - unless there is a separate fuse on your fuse box (using electricity to heat water, on demand (like in a shower) consumes a lot of electricity and cannot be plugged in to a normal wall socket) - so I am 99% sure that your hot water will come from the same source as the bathroom basin and your kitchen hot taps - ie) The tank that is heated by your boiler.
    Try turning your boiler off and empty the tank - then try the shower to check - you should find that the shower will not run hot.....
  • Florine
    Options
    Wibbles is right - it is fed off the standard hot-water system.  I'd forgotten I'd asked this!  Thanks!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.