regarding UC & LCW /LCWRA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

regarding UC & LCW /LCWRA

Options
J8W
J8W Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, so I was signed off by my GP for mixed anxiety & depression originally i think back in november/december, its at a level that affects me even being able to leave the house sometimes for most days of a week..

All of this is new to me, even just claiming job seekers, let alone health benefits stuff.

The UC people about a month ago said they wanted me to do an assessment thing that will help me out and said I might get more money (which I said isn't my priority, I'm happy with the small amount I already got, I just wanted no stress & some peace so I can try and recover). So I filled the form in they sent and had a phonecall with someone about it not long after in the future.

The phonecall was on a 'bad day' for me symptoms wise, i had a migraine as well and I was all over the place mentally and verbally, forgot to say a lot of important things I'd written down to mention etc.

Anyway, they just wrote in my journal with a link to the result saying that I'm deemed LCW and this means I don't have to find work, but that I am expected to do training courses & meetings with work coach etc.

This is exactly the opposite of what I need to recover though, being forced to go out anywhere will trigger extreme panic attacks and result in my overall health becoming worse.

Just the same day of the result being written in my journal I had a review with my GP by phone (as I'm unable to go out due to panic attacks etc.) And we've upped my medication and she also signed me off as 'you are not fit for any work 'indefinitely', previously we had been taking it 3 months at a time with the fit notes.

Since all of this process started I have felt worse and extremely stress+anxious. Now after this result, my anxiety is going into overdrive and I pretty much had a panic attack just reading the thing.

Is this result from them normal?
I'm not expected to get better any time soon, hence the now 'indefinitely' signed off doctors note, and what they want me to do is literally all of the triggers of the more severe symptoms of my condition?
Like even a phone call is a struggle right now and can wipe me out.

I just need some help and advice about what this all means and what I can/should do regarding it please.

Thanks, J
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,547 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    LCW means they have agreed that you're not fit for work right now but are able to complete work related activity, which means attending appointment etc. What will be expected of you exactly will depend on your claimant commiments.

You will no longer need to send any further fit notes. If you disgree with the decision and think you should have been found to have LCWRA then you can challenge the decision by requesting the Mandatory Reconsideration. (MR) You should put this in writing stating why you think you should have been awarded this and which descriptor you think applies to you. You can see them here. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/limited-capability-for-work-related-activity

Once the decision is made if you're not happy then you can proceed to Tribunal.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @J8W

Welcome to the community :) I'm sorry to hear you have been struggling but glad to hear you are under your GP and getting support. 

As Poppy has said, if you feel you cannot meet the commitments, then going down the Mandatory Reconsideration route will hopefully change the decision. I would reach out to Citizen's Advice or read some of their information pages about the process. 

You can email your local one and explain that corresponding by email would be preferred :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.