Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

DWP setting a higher budget to find money that welfare claimants should not be claiming!

Options
I am advised by a good friend who happens to be both a District and County Councillor that more money is to be thrown into  finding out if people are welfare benefit frauds. There will be an increase in the number of investigators who will follow and spy on claimants in addition to using the CCTV system for the first time.

Comments

• michael57
    michael57 Community member Posts: 349 Pioneering
    Options
    and so they should if you have nothing to hide its not a problem in my book 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It would be interesting to know how much money. I do think the benefits system needs reform, but you know it will turn into the media being vile about people who do really need that support.

It would be really interesting to see how they go about this legally. It could be seen as stalking / harassment and could be very triggering for people who have severe mental health issues or have been abused.
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @66Mustang I don't think it is either. I do just think, the way the media have gone about reporting benefits, especially recently, is a cause for concern. I also think, benefits on a whole, should be something organised outside the government. That way, no party can use it to their advantage and people who need the support would hopefully see some consistency :) 

Hahaha, can you imagine the logs? If someone followed me it'll read "She was in another bookstore" :D 
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope yes I agree about the media portrayal of benefits claimants recently, it is concerning.

That is an interesting idea about benefits being organised independently of government. I think it would free up millions of voters who perhaps only vote for who will offer them the best rates of benefits, regardless of other policies, and allow them to vote for the party based on their other policies as well?
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    I never thought of the voters who purely vote for one side of policies. But the pressure and stress it would take off of those claiming, knowing that another election wouldn't create possibilities of changes :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes :) I am lucky enough to still live at home and so am not living off every last £1, so am able to vote for the party of which I believe in (most of) their policies - which I am aware is often at odds with who will give me the best rate of benefits - but I am aware many don't have that luxury. It would be nice if more people were able to consider the other factors!
  • paries1
    paries1 Community member Posts: 380 Pioneering
    Options
    I am advised by a good friend who happens to be both a District and County Councillor that more money is to be thrown into  finding out if people are welfare benefit frauds. There will be an increase in the number of investigators who will follow and spy on claimants in addition to using the CCTV system for the first time.

I thought they had been following people under investigation for years and this wasn’t something new . I also read they can access social media , get gym membership account info  and even contact bingo halls. I mean is someone not allowed to go to the bingo? If you say you’re physically disabled then they see you out jogging and dancing I can see the discrepancy or people who are working and claiming full benefits, for people who have MH issues that fluctuate this will only cause stress. If you’ve done nothing wrong then nothing to be stressed about but a lot of people like myself already feel ashamed for claiming benefits so this exacerbates that and makes you feel under constant scrutiny. 
  • surfygoose
    surfygoose Community member Posts: 457 Pioneering
    Options
    I expect they will only be using their powers if they have reasonable reason to believe someone is commit it fraud.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I didn't think they could physically follow people now? If people were caught via social media or photographs and video submitted from someone else, was what evidence they were able to have / use? 

@woodbine I agree that tax dodging seems to be a bigger issue!
    Hannah - She / Her

• paries1
    Options
    I didn't think they could physically follow people now? If people were caught via social media or photographs and video submitted from someone else, was what evidence they were able to have / use? 

@woodbine I agree that tax dodging seems to be a bigger issue!
    I thought if they suspected you of fraud they would follow you and had been doing that for ages . I know they can and have access to bank account statements in request without the persons permission. 
  • paries1
    Options
    Let’s hope they investigate MPs who have multiple homes and claim for expenses they shouldn’t also tax evaders who cost billions of £s a year . 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    Wow...  didn't realise they can do that. I'm hyper vigilant with a baseball bat in my umbrella stand :D Well, good luck to them!
    Hannah - She / Her

• paries1
    Options
    Wow...  didn't realise they can do that. I'm hyper vigilant with a baseball bat in my umbrella stand :D Well, good luck to them!
    Yes I think they do some bank checks first and if that flags up anything they pull out all the stops 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Be a very similar situation if they checked my accounts or followed me.... Books  :D
    Hannah - She / Her

• WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 768 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If they follow me it'll be the slowest chase in history.  Stop. Start. Stop Start ... 

• paddyman03
    paddyman03 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options

This is just an excuse to save money you will find recently and lately all letters that they sent out to people that attended a medical especially in Luton they received letters and went like this for example

"WE BELIEVE ON BLAH BLAH.(DATE) YOU ATTENDED,NO MOBILITY AIDS/HELP/WERE USED, (HENCE)...
    " WE HAVE REASONS TO BELÌEVE"
    "ITS BEEN BROUGHT TO OUR ATTENTION"

NOW!!!, I WAS PERSONALY TOLD BY A SECRETARY, (WONT MENTION DEPARTMENT)

THAT ON SEVERAL OCASSIONS SHE RECIEVES VIA REMOTE DICTAFONE SEVERAL AUDIO TRANSCRIPTS TO WORD AS ITS HEARD FINISHING OFF BY STANDARD USUAL...

CLAIMANTS IV HEARD FROM HAVE SERIOUSLY GOT SO MENTALY STRESSED COZ OF THESE LETTERS THATS TOTTALY UNTRUE HAD AT THE TIME CLOSED THEIR CLAIM LEAVING THEMSELF IN RENT AREAS ETC ETC THEN ON ADVICE FROM A FRIENDS FRIEND (MAGISTRATE) WAS TOLD OF ALL THIS AND HER CLAIM WAS RE OPENED AND BACK PAID,SO SAD,UNREAL, IV BEEN DISABLED LITERALY YEARS WITH 2 MAJOR SPINE OPPS,SACRA 3,4 5 DISCS FUSED,
    SPINAL STENOSIS,
    YOU NAME IT,TRIED SAME WITH ME,BUT MY LIGHTS ARE ON,AND IN,DONT TAKE MORPHINE FOR FUN,AND ITS MAKING ME ILL,
    WISH NEVER STARTED IT,OVER 15 YEARS NOW,
    THATS CALLED ABUSE!!! OVER PRESCRIBING,HOOKED ON OPIATES!!!
  • surfygoose
    surfygoose Community member Posts: 457 Pioneering
    Options
    I’m sorry you’ve had that bad experience Paddy. That sounds really tough that happened to you with your pain meds.
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 1,262 Pioneering
    Options
    DWP has also been allocated extra funds to find disabled claimants 'fit for work' again! The assessments now cost more to process and every 'migration' or claim to UC is converted to a JSA claim which means that a claimant is no longer considered to be 'a vulnerable adult'. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.