Extended ESA contribution based — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Extended ESA contribution based

kami84 Community member Posts: 46 Listener
So my contribution based ESA has been extended. But in two years time it will reach 7 years. Does that mean that at the next review when they call me in person for WCA I will be found fit for work? Or the ESA will continue to be paid?. I am asking since I'm thinking to go to university or move the area or move to Universal Credit. I'm not sure about the latter. But if I will have review in some time does this mean my benefits would be stopped after WCA in two years or if I do these changes would it be stopped earlier? Or this would depend on WCA and if I'm still found not fit for work would it still continue despite me being on it for 7 years? Thank you for reply.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,742 Disability Gamechanger
    The length of time you've been in the Support Group doesn't mean you'll be found fit for work at your next review. You will remain in this group until a new decision says otherwise which means your payments will continue for as long as you remain entitled to them.

    With regards to UC because it's a means tested benefit whether you're entitled will depend on your circumstances. Which ESA are you claiming, is it New style ESA or the old contributions based? If it's the old contributions based does your ESA include the Income Related top up?

    If it's New style ESA then there will be no Income Related top ups because this is just a contributions based benefit only. If you claim UC then your ESA will continue as normal but be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

    Are you currently claiming a disability benefit such as PIP or DLA?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.