cars that suit rigid active wheelchairs

CATP
CATP Community member Posts: 86 Contributor
hi,the appointee/myself have got a brocher threw from motability and theyre saying i need to choose a car before september as theyll have to extend the car ive got now and do an MOT as itll be over its 3 yr contract.

because of my worsening acesibility issues, im down grading in size-if i can!!! ,and choosing a hatchback type car (ive had all sorts over the years but curent one is a SEAT arona, i woud have looked at the leon but its not on there anymore for some weird reason?).

the car im looking at is a audi A1 (1.0l) its classed on the motability site as a 'small hatchback' im wondering if anyone knows much about the audi A1 (£499 AP on motability) in terms of its compatibility with storing rigid wheelchairs in the back row of seats-i only ever sit in the back left as its part of my routine,i can have behaviors that challenge plus im epileptic and im right at the end of waiting for my new rigid active wheelchair-its due in the shop tomorow.

the wheelchair has been changed that much due to 2023 changing a lot of the different chair companys rules,designs or weight limits so ive forgoten which one ive got, its another quickie and active but high end and rigid, its a 19" seat,spinergy LX wheels).

ive watched lots of youtube videos of people getting rigids into tiny cars but i was trying to fit it in the seat area with me to enable me to get out and not have to much presure on my legs/feet or falls.

i really hope this makes sense, i apologise if not,ive had my night medications which always makes me loopy and more waffling than usual.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing
    There’s a lot of vehicles that have been removed from the list because of no availability or the waiting lists are just ridiculously long! 

In my opinion a small hatchback isn’t the best choice for carrying your wheelchair in. Even more so for you if you sit in the back of the car. There will not be much space for yourself and your wheelchair. 

The best advice I can give is that you should visit some dealers so you can check how your wheelchair will fit.

The only downside right now is the waiting time for your new vehicle. Depending on the make/model and spec you choose it could be several months wait. Your existing lease can be extended while you wait for your new vehicle. 
  • CATP
    CATP Community member Posts: 86 Contributor
    hi @poppy123456 thanks so much for the information, wow, thatss an awful lot of cars being waited for.

ill have a look where i got my arona from as there was at least 3 or 4 garages to choose from, i did like the kia range-i might look at the citroen nemo multispace if thats still going-my staff called mine the postman pat car as it was red.

poppy,do you or anyone else personaly know any cars worth a look at that have a low enough boot?
    thanks,even if you dont know, im greatful,i coud then check its AP to make sure its £500 or less. ,i like the idea of some skoda cars as ive been told they have VW engines. 
    cheers!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing
    I think you may struggle with all HB because the space in the back, including leg room is limited. I'm speaking from experience here because i have a HB and wouldn't have another one. 

My first thoughts are estates or touring sports as some are known as. The only issue you'll have here is the AP maybe more than £500. I looked at the Ford Focus estate for you but the AP is £695 (assuming it's manual transmission you're looking for)

Skodas, Seat and VW are built on the same platform but not the same under the bonnet. I had a courtesy car for quite a few days when i had my last mobility car, it was a skoda Fabia and it was terrible, one of the worst cars i've ever driven and sat in. Again, limited space because it's a HB.

The Citroen Nemo is no longer available as a new vehicle, only used. Tne Citroen Berlingo came to mind but the AP is much more than your budget.

I don't know if you'll qualify for a grant for the AP as this will depend on your circumstances. You also need to apply for the grant before you order your vehicle. Worth looking into and then maybe you can get a vehicle more suitable for your needs.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,906 Championing
    edited July 2023
    Forgive my ignorance on this but does a fixed active chair still have removable wheels?  I saw this video a couple of years ago of Jack Binstead putting his chair in the boot of a Fiesta - approx 1 minute in.  (He played Remm Dogg on Bad Education if you ever watched that!)  I was surprised there was enough room in the boot for it, so I would say it's worth trying a couple of hatchback boots before writing them off altogether.

https://youtu.be/X3lYER3-ZJA?t=61 

I agree regarding rear seat leg room though, I think you'll need something larger than an Audi A1 personally.  Citroen C3 and Renault Captur might be worth looking at.