Tenant at my benefits c/o address needs to claim HB themselves – now what? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tenant at my benefits c/o address needs to claim HB themselves – now what?

LuxFero Community member Posts: 8 Listener

Since I was homeless my ESA/PIP claim has been registered at a friend’s address, it’s a c/o address but the DWP post doesn’t say c/o. The friend who rents it now (sole tenant) now needs to claim housing benefit via Universal Credit due to a downturn in their finances. 

Would my legacy claim being at that address jeopardise theirs for HB (which I never claimed) or vice versa?  Or could they just claim and say at the form that I don’t live there and it’s just a c/o address? 

I could potentially move my DWP address to a different part of the country (London to Bristol) but am concerned this will be ‘natural’ rather than ‘managed’ migration i.e trigger me being forced onto Universal Credit. Thanks for any advice on this. 



  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,593 Disability Gamechanger
    For the avoidance of doubt, they can't claim HB unless they either live in supported or temporary housing. Claiming help with the rent with UC is known as housing element. They are 2 completely different benefits.

    All i can advise is that if there are any issues they just need to tell them that it's just a c/o address that you're using.

    Changing your address in your case is not a change of circumstances that will prompt a move to UC. You will only need to claim UC if you need to claim for help with any rent, unless you live in either supported or temporary housing and then it will be HB that you need to claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • LuxFero
    LuxFero Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Thank you very much Poppy! Very helpful 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.