UC and Part time college help please — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC and Part time college help please

Options
Smarties
Smarties Community member Posts: 29 Listener
edited July 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi 

I have a question please help 

I want to go to college and study my maths and English Gcse retake part time for adults in September 

I currently receive UC help towards my housing rent and standard single person allowance.

I receive pip standard. 

If I enrolled on to this part time course at college in September will I still be entitled to the help from UC towards my rent housing costs? 

Because this is a part time course, Will UC expect me to be looking for work or give me any commitments to attend job centre? 

And would I get my standard single person allowance UC or will they only help towards my rent housing costs as I’m part time education or not at all? 

Really confused as I have no other income and have read UC can not be claimed by part time students so in that case how would my housing rent be paid? Would I need to claim HB from my local council? 

I can struggle but manage with my standard PIP money I’m worried about my housing rent. 

Any advice appreciated Thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,659 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It will depend on what your claimant commitments are. 

Have you been through the work capability assessment? If so what was the decision on that? 

Is the course definitely part time? If there’s a student maintenance loan available to you then it will affect the amount of UC you’re entitled to, even if you decide not to take that loan. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Smarties
    Options
    Currently have no claimant commitments as I am in receipt of LCWRA and UC standard single allowance and housing element.

I am waiting for a reassessment so not sure what decision will be for my LCWRA after this new assessment which is why I wanted to know if they would give me commitments or expect me to look for work alongside me doing this part time course. 

Yes the course is part time only for adults maths and English GCSE retake in September they do not offer full time and I feel this would be to much for me to handle so part time would be best
    the course is free government funded so not sure about maintenance loan I would not be taking a student finance loan due to course being free. 

Thank you for helping.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Then a part time course is allowed. You will need to make sure you tell them that you’re a part time student. 

As I advised if there’s a maintenance loan available to you then it will affect your UC.

You do need to be aware that if being a student contradicts the reasons why you were found to have LCWRA then it could go against you at your next review. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Smarties
    Options
    Ok thank you.

After my LCWRA review if a decision came back where I was awarded LCW or found fit for work for example would this still apply?

Would I have work commitments or be expected to look for work or attend job centre alongside this part time course or would my UC stop completely? How would my rent be paid? 

• poppy123456
    Options
    If found to have LCW then what is expected of you will depend on your claimant commiments. You wouldn't be expected to look for work but maybe expected to prepare to work sometime in the future, which could mean attending appointments.

If found fit for work then again it will depend on your claimant commiments but could be expected to look for work. You can continue to be a part time student but could also be expected to look for work as well.

You will lose the LCWRA element but the standard allowance and your rent will continue.

If you weren't happy with any new decision after a review you can challenge that by requesting the Mandatory Reconsideration.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.