Cuts to Disabled persons assistance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cuts to Disabled persons assistance

Options
BDavis
BDavis Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Many services that enable disabled persons to live in a habitable environment have been cut in Glasgow Scotland for example the assisted gardening service and now they want us to pay for garden waste removal. Its difficult enough to get family to help  with the garden because of their own jobs etc. This has made the issue even worse. It means we have to live in an environment not pleasing to the eye and unhygienic as we also have a rat infestation problem.  I'm sick to the back teeth with the Scottish government. 

Tagged:

Comments

• Glaitness
    Glaitness Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Options
    I'm near you an never knew there was an assisted gardening scheme ..They never actually tell you anything .Our council building has been shut for three years .
  • BDavis
    Options
    Where ae you Glaitness I have recently had a cardiac arrest can't remember how this works?  
  • BDavis
    Options
    Get back to me I will help if possible. 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @BDavis

I'm so sorry to hear you have found it hard to get support with your garden. There are organisations like the Gardening With Disabilities Trust that I'd encourage you to reach out to :) Have you also thought about emailing your Local MP to raise the issue? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • BDavis
    Options
    Hello Hannah, I have contacted various local politicians a total waste of time and of course they are all on holiday. 
  • Glaitness
    Options
    Sorry B Davis ,
    Just saw your message .I'm in Eastkilbride .
  • Glaitness
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your cardiac arrest ,are you ok now ?
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @BDavis I hope you have support around you after your cardiac arrest? I'm sorry you got nowhere with the politicians. If I see any other gardening support I'll post here. Please keep us updated :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • BDavis
    Options
    Hello Glaitness, I'm in recovery but with no information and very little assistance. I feel very tired all of the time and generally feel off/odd. Sorry for being so gloomy. I have contacted my GP for some answers so hopefully will receive some guidance from him. Eastkilbride which council does that come under? They are all very much the same sneakily cutting services without notice or appropriate information. 
    All the best, Barry & Fred(spaniel)
  • BDavis
    Options
    We no longer have the assisted gardening scheme its been cut. With no suggestions but pay someone to do it. Easily said affording it is another matter. 
    Cheers, 
    Barry &Fred 
  • Glaitness
    Options
    Hi Barry ,
    it comes under South Lanarkshire Council .They used to have a scheme years ago called care of gardens .My mum had it a long time ago ,but they stole most of her plants ,so we got rid of them .
    Couldn't prove it at the time .Our council building has been shut since Covid and shows no signs of opening up again.
    I paid to get hedges trimmed last year was told £300.00 thought that was for back and front ,turns out it was only for the front

.Back garden cost another £400.00 ,guy blocked me in my driveway with his car to make sure I paid ,cash only and followed me to the bank.
    so hedges really tall and neighbour is a **** and complaining ,but they can't shoot you for it ,so it'll stay that way.
    Hannah suggested Gardening with Disabilities trust ,which I'd never heard of ,so I'll look into that
    Hopefully you get some results with your gp.
    Hope you feel better soon.Love to Fred your dog.I lost my dog Rosie in February ,broke my heart .
    Be nice if everybody lived near someone on the forum to get together for a cuppa.
  • BDavis
    Options
    I think you should look into getting another dog as they are great companions. Do you go to GDA? They organise coffee mornings etc & as far a I can remember provide transport assistance. 

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,726 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    many councils now charge for the removal of garden waste and have done for some years now, the council adjacent to ours does but ours doesn't yet (it won't be long), if I'm honest I can understand why they charge. @BDavies how much do they want to charge you ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Glaitness
    Options
    Not sure what  GDA is ?. 
    Feel like I’m betraying or forgetting Lily , silly I suppose . 
    I do miss being greeted at the door when I come home and cuddling into fluffy friend . 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Fluffy friends are the best @Glaitness <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.