Help with food when you have allergies? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with food when you have allergies?

Options
motormouse
motormouse Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2023 in Cost of living
I have a question  about food banks  I have allergies  to  numerousbthings that precludes  me from using many of the useful tinned foods offered by food banks  My funds are always stretched  Isbthere anywhere i can go to get help with buying mainly fresh foods  I am over 75 gluten dairy free also alletgic to tomatoes gem.lettuce carrots tuna hummus  and several other odd things  so any help in finding help would be gratefully received

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Could you not let the food bank know of your allergies and they may give you different things?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,063 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @motormouse, some food banks will try and be as accomodating of allergies as possible but it usually depends on what has been donated. 
    There are other options for free and low cost food including food pantries and community fridges but they are different in different areas. We've a short guide and links to finding your nearest one on Scope's webpage Free food and food banks which I hope will help.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Romantionne
    Romantionne Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I hope that you will be able to find the support you need. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask.
  • Choosegm
    Choosegm Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your food allergies. It can be really challenging to find suitable options, especially on a tight budget. Have you considered looking into local community organizations or charities that specifically support people with dietary restrictions? They might be able to provide resources or even vouchers for purchasing fresh foods.

• NeonNomad
    NeonNomad Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Options
     Have you looked into community groups or charity organizations in your area? There are some who give help especially for new and unprocessed foods. It might be good to consider government schemes such as SNAP—they may assist in making your grocery money go further. Also, if you contact churches in your area or organizations that help people, they can possibly show you some helpful options you haven't thought of yet.  Good luck, and I hope you find the support you need!
  • Choosegm
    Choosegm Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited April 15
    Options
    Choosegm said:
    I'm sorry to hear about your food allergies. It can be really challenging to find suitable options, especially on a tight budget. Have you considered looking into local community organizations or charities that specifically support people with dietary restrictions? They might be able to provide resources or even vouchers for purchasing fresh foods.

Additionally, have you tried natural coconut milk [MODERATOR EDIT: Link removed to prevent possible advertising] as an alternative? It's dairy-free and gluten-free, and could be a good option for adding some variety to your diet. You can find organic coconut milk powder that's convenient and easy to use, which might fit well with your dietary needs.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.