Etsy hobby & UC? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Etsy hobby & UC?

Options
redroses91
redroses91 Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
I am thinking of selling some prints I have made as more of a hobby (tho I’d like it to progress in future) and was wondering how this will affect our UC? My partner works and I am on LCWRA. 
Thanks. 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,702 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Any "income" once declared is just that "income"
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,577 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If it's a hobby and you will be selling the odd few items then it won't affect you UC. If it's more than this then you'll need to report a change of circumstances and tell them that you're working.

You'll be classed as self employed so you'll need to attend a gateway appointment at your local job centre. (all self employed people need to do this) you will then need to report your earnings and expenses on your journal on the last day of your assessment period.

The work allowance applies to your joint claim (not individual) any earnings received each month outside of this will reduce your UC by 55%.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @redroses91 When I looked at having my own at home business, I popped a message on my UC journal for more information and spoke to one of their advisors on small business. They went through lots of information and support I could have if I took that route.

Would be worth keeping in mind chatting to them, if you'd like to pursue it :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.