Need advice on adhd meltdowns — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need advice on adhd meltdowns

xsianybabyx
xsianybabyx Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited July 2023 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi my daughter is nearly 6 and has been displaying signs of adhd. She becomes so angry she screams and cries throwing things about sometimes. She slams doors and for the past 6 months been hitting me, pushing me and biting me. Her favourite word is “No”. Iam a single mum to two children and my other child has adhd and autism too. They both have different needs and my youngest is visibly struggling how do I calm her down during a meltdown preventing her hurting me as I’m disabled. I’m trying really hard but I get overwhelmed just need tips. Thanks  

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 44,019 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @xsianybabyx welcome to the forum 
    It can be challenging with tantrums, I have it with my grandson who is suspected adhd and or autism. I've posted a link below that might give you some tips. It might help 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/tantrums-and-adhd#How-to-handle-tantrums
  • xsianybabyx
    xsianybabyx Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited July 2023
    Thank you for the link I will go through it ☺️
  • Hannah_Scope
    Hannah_Scope Posts: 7,316 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @xsianybabyx

Welcome to the community! :) I'm sorry to hear you are having such a tough time with your daughter. Can I ask, have you reached out to your GP? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • INDITics
    INDITics Scope Member Posts: 33 Connected
    Hi!

Do you know what triggers her meltdowns? I would get really overwhelmed with certain senses and got myself some loops to down out my surroundings, grabbed a note book or colouring book and I could self sooth, obviously doesn't work for everyone, I know i used to use noise cancelling headphones before. And see as she is 6 headphones maybe a good idea, but going to see a GP would definitely start the ball rolling 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    As @INDITics said, preventing meltdowns wherever possible is often better than dealing with a meltdown. However, I am also aware that not all meltdowns can be prevented. Identifying the source of these meltdowns will be really important in addressing the meltdown. I also think you know your family best and what their needs are but we are here for you if you would like to talk about this further and how you are feeling  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Hannah_Scope
    Hannah_Scope Posts: 7,316 Disability Gamechanger
    @INDITics I would encourage you to reach out to the GP. They will be able to get the ball rolling with assessments and give you more ideas of how to help the meltdowns. Possibly some insight into what triggers them, but as she is 6 it may be a wait until she can communicate why better. Please keep us updated :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.