Taking in a lodger — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Taking in a lodger

Options
Katrina65
Katrina65 Community member Posts: 22 Listener
Will I lose my severe disability premium if I rent a room out to a stranger? I would also declare this to the DWP 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,394 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No, not if there's a commercial agreement. However, rent from a lodger when claiming Income Related ESA there's only a £20/week disregard and after this your ESA is reduced £1 for £1. This will likely mean you'll be worse off by taking in the lodger.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Katrina65
    Katrina65 Community member Posts: 22 Listener
    Options
    Many thanks just got to look at everything 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes income from a lodger is disregarded when claiming UC. However, you will lose the SDP by claiming this. You will be entitled to the SDP transitional protection if you claim UC as well as the LCWRA element from the start of your claim. 

You will be worse off compared to what you're receiving now because the TP is actually less than SDP but may still be better off with the income from a lodger.

You should also be aware that the TP will erode over time, so if other elements increase, the TP decreases until such a time it will erode completely.

If any part of your ESA is contributions based this will continue but be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Flossy73
    Flossy73 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Can anyone tell me if you can have a lodger on new style esa in support group with no deduction please? I’m not on UC, only PIP and new style esa 
  • Flossy73
    Options
    Can anyone tell me if you can have a lodger on new style esa in support group with no deduction please? I’m not on UC, only PIP and new style esa 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    New style ESA isn’t means tested so income from a lodger doesn’t affect it.

If you’re claiming single person discount for council tax then you will lose that. 
  • Flossy73
    Options
    Thank you Poppy, that’s really helpful 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.