Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Charged VAT on disability equipment

Options
Dovetail22uk
Dovetail22uk Community member Posts: 3 Listener
My work have funded an electric add on for my wheelchair (alongside an Access to Work grant) and the company they have ordered from charged them VAT "as they are a company" even though it's specifically for me. Anyone have any knowledge on this? It's added more than £1k onto the price!

Comments

• forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Options
    If a company buy it then as far as I know it is not VAT exempt, it's only individuals and charities buying for individuals that can claim the exemption

Do you qualify for VAT-free goods

You’ll only be able to have eligible goods VAT-free if you’re chronically sick or disabled and the goods are for your personal or domestic use. You do not need to be registered disabled or eligible for any other benefit to qualify for VAT-free goods.

What HMRC mean by ‘personal or domestic use’

This means that the goods are made available specifically for the use of an individual disabled person.

The following are not ‘personal’ or ‘domestic’ uses and are not VAT-free:

• goods used for business purposes

• WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 767 Pioneering
    edited July 2023
    Options
    i know that disability products for personal use are exempt ... not so sure about business as it's pertaining to the business. They'll be able to claim the VAT back as it's "for business purpose" As you're an employee ?

Edit ... ... presuming they're VAT registered

VAT men make the Tax Man look like good samaritans from my experience  :)

• Dovetail22uk
    Dovetail22uk Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    WelshBlue said:
    i know that disability products for personal use are exempt ... not so sure about business as it's pertaining to the business. They'll be able to claim the VAT back as it's "for business purpose" As you're an employee ?

Edit ... ... presuming they're VAT registered

VAT men make the Tax Man look like good samaritans from my experience  :)

Thanks for all your comments - I contacted them and said that it shouldn't apply as the product is specifically and solely for my use and they have refunded it!

• WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 767 Pioneering
    Options
    @Dovetail22uk ... glad to hear it's turned out for the good  :)

I hope the add on makes your life a lot easier
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.