Will my redundancy affect my Carer's Allowance payments? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will my redundancy affect my Carer's Allowance payments?

Options
lcs14
lcs14 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
I am a carer for a family member and since earlier this year (February) I have been claiming Carer's Allowance, paid weekly.

Until early June, I also had a part time job working 8-10 hours a week, but I was made redundant from that.

I am due to get a redundancy payment. It's not much as I was only working those 8-10 hours a week, but it's still a lump sum of £2,500 that is to be paid along with my final monthly worked hours pay of £340.00. My worked hours have never affected my CA before as it's always been an average of £300-£350 per month, so under the weekly threshold cap. But now I am being paid my redundancy, will this stop my weekly Carer's Allowance payments? And if so, for how many weeks will it be stopped?

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A lump sum should not affect entitlement to CA.
  • lcs14
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. So my CA weekly payments should still go ahead as normal?
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Correct, apologies for getting back to this thread late. :)
  • lcs14
    Options
    Thank you. I have informed CA that this is happening and explained the payment for redundancy is being paid along with my final worked pay, but that I can provide a copy of my payslip to show the breakdown of this so they do not think this sum is worked earnings.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    How are you feeling about this at the moment @Ics14?
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • lcs14
    Options
    I have not yet heard back from CA after calling them to explain, as well as making a change to my circumstances online. They haven't asked for a copy of my payslip and so far since I received the redundancy last week, my CA payments have still gone through.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.