If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers Element Uc

Options
Nic1981
Nic1981 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello 
I'm on legacy benefits. Just been awarded pip. 
My 19yo daughter is on uc.
She lives at home with me and her 1yo son. 
Would she be able to claim carers element for looking after me? And would this affect her uc payment? 
Am I right in thinking if she claimed carers allowance then this would come off her uc? 
Thanks for reading 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,140 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Providing your PIP includes daily living part and she looks after you for at least 35 hours per week then she can claim carers element. (Assuming she doesn’t receive the LCWRA element for herself) it will increase her maximum UC entitlement by £185.86/month. 

Yes, carers allowance is deducted in full from UC. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Nic1981
    Options
    Hello, I get standard rate daily, and enhanced mobility. No she doesn't claim that for herself. So carers element would add money and they wouldn't take anything off her? 
  • Nic1981
    Options
    And would she be able to ask for dated as I've just been awarded from 29th March? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Carers element increases the maximum UC entitlement. They won’t reduce it. UC is only reduced if she claims carers allowance as well.

She can ask for it to be backdated but if she didn’t report being your carer then they may not backdate it. It will be down to a decision maker to make that decision. She will need to report a change of circumstances. Then clicking caring for someone. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Nic1981
    Options
    Thank you so much for your help. She didn't want to say she was looking after me incase I wasn't awarded pip as she didn't want to get into trouble. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You’re welcome. She wouldn’t have got into trouble by saying that. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.