Coal fire — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Coal fire

Options
Trayr111
Trayr111 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hi all..
I've inherited my dad's house, I would like to move in there but it has a back boiler ,coal fire , and emersion heater. All very old school and too much for me to manage.
I am on income related esa and pip  due to disabilities.  Does anyone know if and how I could get any help to have gas central heating fitted? 

Comments

• MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 494 Pioneering
    Options

Hello Trayr111 

Despite the decreasing popularity and difficulty in maintaining coal fires, the sight of an open fire in someone's home, though rare nowadays, always manages to stir up a delightful wave of nostalgia from my childhood days spent sitting by a coal fire. 

Regarding your question, there is a scheme known as ECO4, which commenced on 1st April 2022 and is scheduled to conclude on 31st March 2026. The primary objective of this scheme is to enhance the energy efficiency of homes that are occupied by low-income and vulnerable households. 

Hopefully, the scheme is still in operation, but it's always uncertain as some initiatives might be initiated and later withdrawn unexpectedly.  Additionally, you might qualify for loft insulation and various other energy-saving initiatives.

• Trayr111
    Trayr111 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    Thanks for the information.  I may get help with gas connection , but the rest of it,  ie boiler , radiators and cap off for the fire etc is going to cost me around £5000, which unfortunately I just don't have.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.