If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit and sick notes

Options
katie2217
katie2217 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited July 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, been suffering with anxiety and depression since January, where I can't get out of bed etc. 

Been on universal credit since June, and my fit note runs out on 24th July but when trying to get a new one today my practice told me my GP is on holiday until 26th so I can't get a note until then 

I've wrote a message about this in my journal just now asking if that will be ok, but probably won't get a message until Monday since it's Saturday, and my anxiety is going to kill me all weekend if I don't get some sort of reassurance. 

Will it be fine to not have a fit note from 24th until 26th July while I wait for my GP to come back from holiday, and I've explained it to my work coach? 

Btw I have filled in my limited capability for work questionaire just waiting to hear back from them that's why I still have to provide fit notes 

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You don't need to worry, ask the GP to backdate by those couple of days so there's no gaps and it'll be just fine. From memory, I think it's 7 days extra UC give you to send a repeat fit note.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,122 Scope online community team
    Options

Good morning @katie2217 and a warm welcome to the community. :) 

As you've mentioned, fit notes are meant to be submitted without gaps between them. If there are gaps it can impact referral and possibly the backdating of any decisions.

As you have a GP appointment scheduled for the 26th, it might be helpful to ask whether they can backdate the fit note to the end date of your last one. This way, you'll be covered for those intervening days without a fit note and can submit it to UC on the 26th. 

Let me know if you have any questions or need further clarification.

Community Manager
    Scope
  • katie2217
    Options
    Thanks both, I was planning to ask them to backdate, I just was nervous that universal credit would suddenly stop my payment if I didn't provide the note without gaps, but this won't happen as long as I've kept my work coach up to date? 
  • bg844
    Options
    katie2217 said:
    Thanks both, I was planning to ask them to backdate, I just was nervous that universal credit would suddenly stop my payment if I didn't provide the note without gaps, but this won't happen as long as I've kept my work coach up to date? 
    They don't just 'stop' payments. Most people don't inform UC and just supply a backdated fit note anyway with no problems but at least you have made a note to back you up.

Try not to worry too much and submit when you have it, enjoy your weekend.
  • katie2217
    Options
    Sorry I don't know how to directly reply but thank you!! I'm really new to universal credit didn't apply for it for a while after I quit my job in January due to really bad depression and anxiety I was worried it would be a struggle but it's been okay so far my work coach is really nice. I was worried I would get an automatic sanction if I didn't provide a note on the 25th! And my anxiety makes me overthink small things like this a million times over 
  • bg844
    Options
    No worries. If you have any more questions on the system, please do ask and someone will reply. 

To add, if you haven't already, it may also be worth seeing if you are potentially eligible for PIP if you are struggling.

See: https://www.gov.uk/pip
    and:https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/
  • katie2217
    Options
    Thanks again, I looked at pip but since my depression and anxiety only started in January this year, I didn't think it would class as "long term" so I didn't look into it 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,120 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For PIP you must have been experiencing the difficulties for at least 3 months and expect them to last at least a further 9 months. This may help. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.