Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Welsh Railways.

Options
onlymeagain
onlymeagain Community member Posts: 42 Connected
We've booked a holiday in Wales and was hoping to do some of the little railways. But I have been so shocked to see that none of them offer free carers and the most they offer is a 10% discount. Has anyone tried challenging this?

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Unfortunately, most discounts are discretionary and I do think that 10% is still quite generous. I do know that the Disabled Persons Railcard gives 1/3 off, which is great (I have one, just recently renewed for a further 3 years) but that's for National Rail and certain other services. You could ask directly when you visit the ticket offices?
  • johndtay
    johndtay Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    Options
    Hmm,  I thought there was a little known 50% off for wheelchair or certain disabilities. I
    Also, I’m not sure how many stations are accessible in Wales, Potentially the major lines, but smaller lines may not.

it’s also annoying I don’t believe English concession passes are valid in Wales .I know you don’t want to use a car but that’s the best getting around and getting too smaller attractions
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 768 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My daughter qualifies for a disabled Railcard through her MS and has never had an issue with buying tickets for herself and boyfriend from Cardiff to anywhere in the UK and getting the 30%  ... and that applies from Liverpool eg back to Cardiff too

Are we talking the mini gauge railways like Aberystywth to Devils Bridge/  Fffestiniog or Transport for Wales ?

If TfW I would email as it doesn't sound right
  • onlymeagain
    onlymeagain Community member Posts: 42 Connected
    Options
    It's the little railways I am referring to such as Snowdon, Ffestiniog etc. I have a disabled railcard for the National Railways.

• johndtay
    Options
    I'd recommend phoning them and asking as there's a few that are non standard gauge and as such might mean you could have problems.
  • johndtay
    Options
    Snowdon: https://snowdonrailway.co.uk/access-statement/
    Flen: https://www.festrail.co.uk/accessibility/
    The others please check as I can't think of any others off the top of my head.
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 768 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've been on the Ffestionog/ Welsh Highlands and as far as I'm aware 10% for disabled and Carers is the standard concession.

You would think they'd use Access for All (Essential Companions) like the National Trust as it's a charitable trust. 

Some carriages are very small and narrow if that's a consideration.

Great scenery though
  • johndtay
    Options
    I don’t think they are on accessable - I can’t find it so I’ve dropped them a message asking that question.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.