LCWRA and SSP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA and SSP

youhave13hours
youhave13hours Community member Posts: 26 Connected
Hi, bit of a long one. 
I went over to SSP beginning of November 2022, all my sick notes were handed in to my work place. February the 2nd i was let go from my place of work. On February 2023 the 15th I uploaded my sick note to my UC journal and have carried on doing so. After a few months I was made aware I would have to complete a work capability assessment, on the 15th of July I was told I was placed on LCWRA.
My question is, will the assessment period start from February? And will I be owed any back payment? If so how long does this take? I have tried to work it out from other posts but I'm still unsure. 
Thanks in advance 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,806 Disability Gamechanger
    There’s a full 3 month assessment period waiting time and the extra money is paid from the 4th month of your claim, starting from when you reported your health condition/sent your first fit note. The LCWRA element isn’t paid at all during that time.

Your first payment will be either June or July. The exact date will depend on what date you usually receive your money each month.

If you were claiming UC from when you started receiving SSP then you could have reported your health condition at that time, rather than wait until Feb. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • youhave13hours
    My UC payment date is the 1st. The qualifying period is 26th to the 25th. 
    Ah I didn't know I should have reported my health condition back then as I was working at the time so I didn't think it would make any difference. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,806 Disability Gamechanger
    That means your waiting period will be March to June.. LCWRA starts from AP 26th June to 25th July and first payment will be 1st August. No LCWRA element is owed. This is assuming you're not claiming UC with a partner that already receives the LCWRA element on your claim.

You could have reported your health condition when you started claiming SSP, if you were claiming UC at that time. Before you started receiving SSP if you were claiming UC then you would have needed to be receiving less than 16 x NMW/week before a referral could be made for the WCA (unless you were receiving PIP/DLA at that time)

If you didn't previously have the work allowance and were receiving earnings when you reported your health condition on 15th Feb then you maybe owed some money for this. The work allowance will apply from the assessment period in which you reported your fit note (26th Jan to 25th Feb)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • youhave13hours
    Thank you for the info. I had no idea about any of this. At the time I was hoping to go back to work but the wait for treatment was too long so I lost my job. I thought it would just be temporary. I hope one day I can go back to work. Thank you for your help
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    It sounds really difficult that you lost your job @youhave13hours, especially as you were hoping to go back to work  :( How are you feeling about everything at the moment? Hopefully, as you hope, one day you can go back to work  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • youhave13hours
    Hi @L_Volunteer
    Things have been difficult. I've also ended my relationship with my boys dad, it was mentally draining. He played a lot of mind games. He will be leaving soon.
     I've been told I have blepharospasm and I've also had back problems. The blepharospasm is treated with botox every 2 to 3 months. It's not a cure. So I don't know when I will be able to return to work or what work I could possibly do. My eyes close involuntary all throughout the day. When out and about it can be hard to walk as I can't see clearly. The botox hasn't been as successful as I'd hoped but I think they'll keep trying.
     I am also suffering a bit with my mental health, I was diagnosed with bipolar back in 2019. Currently awaiting appointments with the mental health team. 

So yeah it's hard right now, but I have a good support network of friends that keep me going. I am just about keeping on top of things. Hopefully things will work out in time. Thank you for kind message.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.