Inheritance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.


topper Community member Posts: 29 Connected
Hi , I claim universal credit, and in the support group and do not need to look for work, I get Esa so they take that amount off my Uc , and I also get pip high rate for daily living and lower rate for mobility. 
This week I will be receiving an inheritance that will take me over 16k savings, so will be informing them that I no longer qualify for Uc. 

When I do this do I have to tell them the amount? Or just that it’s over the limit? As I don’t see that it’s their business , only the fact that I no longer qualify? As from the day I inform them I will be paying my rent and council tax out of my own pocket. 

From what I’ve read I do not need to inform ESA or pip as they both are not means tested  am I right on that? 

After I pay off loans and credit cards, and pay my rent and council tax for about 5 months I will be back to just under 15k so will I be able to apply for Uc again? And would I need to go through all the hell of assessment’s again? As it’s taken me 16 mths to get the benefits I receive at the moment? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,130 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't think you need to tell them how much you've received. Just report the changes and your UC will end on the last day of that assessment period.

    PIP and ESA are not affected because they are not means tested.

    If you're claiming council tax reduction then you'll need to report the changes for that and this will also end. Some local Authorities have a maximum savings limit of £6,000 before entitlement to CTR ends so when your savings drop below £16,000 there may still be no entitlement.

    For UC you can reclaim once your savings drop below £16,000. There will be a £4.35/month deduction for every £250 or part thereof over £6,000. Paying off debt is allowed when claiming UC but when you reclaim they may ask what you did with your money.

    You will not need to go through the WCA again when you reclaim because you're in the Support Group for ESA which will mean you'll be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • topper
    topper Community member Posts: 29 Connected


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.