UC awarded whilst between two full-time education courses — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC awarded whilst between two full-time education courses

cattleandcane23 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hello. Our son is 18 and is between two full-time education courses, so not in full-time education at the moment but will be in September. He has just been awarded UC today with no information given by DWP on where they are up to with their assessment of limited capacity for work. Does this mean he will continue to receive UC when he starts college in September, or will he only continue to receive UC from September and beyond if he has been deemed as having limited capacity for work by the time he starts college?


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2023
    Once he starts if he hasn’t been found to have LCW then payments will stop. He needs to be found to have either LCW or LCWRA before the course starts.

    When you say awarded, has he had his first payment yet? This will be 1 month and 6 days after submitting a claim. He will not known if he’s entitled to until he receives his first statement. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.