Child Maintenance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Child Maintenance

Options
KRLG
KRLG Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Hi
Hope someone can help allay my fears.
I am separated from my husband and in receipt of Universal Credit
My ex has been paying money into bank account for children(family based) but as he was threatening to stop payments if I did not agree to shared care, I decided that I would make a claim to the CMS but he has now been informed and states that I have been committing benefit fraud as I did not inform the UC.
This has got me into a panic, any advice would be welcome
Thank you

Comments

• Ray212
    Ray212 Community member Posts: 364 Pioneering
    Options
    Child maintenance payments will not affect any benefits that you and your children get, including Universal Credit.
  • KRLG
    Options
    Thanks Ray212

I went on a bit of a rant what I did mean is that we had an arrangement that ex paid money into bank but I did not inform UC of the money or arrangement and I have now made claim to CMS to ensure that I get payment but my concern was that as I did not inform UC can it be classed a fraud or will I receive a sanction
    I know that my ex will inform the UC, should I now explain to UC why I did not inform them with the family based arrangement?  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,687 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2023
    Options
    You do not need to inform UC about any maintenance payments for your children because it doesn’t affect it. Scroll down to number 16 here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-and-your-family-quick-guide/universal-credit-further-information-for-families#support-for-children
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • KRLG
    Options
    Thanks poppy123456
  • Ollyoyster
    Ollyoyster Community member Posts: 348 Pioneering
    Options
    Child maint, team are very helpful as well, i had similar situatiom, ex payed a little bit for my 3 kids at the time, bht he thort he could stop payment and threaten me with it and tols me if u dont like it go csa, so i did,  as all have advised it is totally seperate and does mot have anything to dowith benefits, . 😉 Enjoy your kids, they grow up too fast xx
  • KRLG
    Options
    Cheers Ollyoyster, will do regarding kids but its a struggle with all the aggressive behaviour of ex but it will turn at some point

thanks again 
  • Ollyoyster
    Ollyoyster Community member Posts: 348 Pioneering
    Options
    Hang on in there, dont give up, it takes a while to adjust being free and not being scared of the ex, but i promise u it will get easier, stay strong, your kids will copy yiu an see a strong mummy and grow up and be strong, take zero ****, if hes anything like my ex he will give up once he knows he camt control you, xx

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.