Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Personal Independence Payment Appeal

Mimi023 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA

I would appreciate some advice, help or some sort of solution in response to my problem if possible. 

I am a carer for my mother who has many mental and physical issues including, Depression + Anxiety, PTSD, spinal Muskoskeletal conditions that affect her ability to walk (which we’ve been told by a doctor that she may very well need surgery for) and has only gotten worse over the years rendering her unable to walk properly - in turn making her feel helpless, embarrassed and insecure about herself - and anaemia. 

We have claimed pip for her (we were unaware that PIP was even a thing until I did some research last year as I wanted my mother to get the help she deserves) - she was awarded daily living but no mobility, we asked for a mandatory reconsideration and she was then awarded daily living but only the standard amount of mobility. 
We are now in the stages of going through an appeal - we are awaiting further evidence written by our GP and I will also be writing a statement to support my mothers case as her carer. 

Now for some further information: 
My mother keeps receiving 0 points for her ability to plan and follow a journey despite me telling the DWP multiple times, both in writing via statements and on phone calls, that she is unable to step a single foot outside the house without either her daughter (me) or her husband supporting her emotionally, mentally and physically. In the past there have times where she has found herself subconsciously wondering off and she does not notice until it is too late and when she did notice, she got very overwhelmed, extremely upset and hysterical and, as you can imagine, she starts to panic. During those times she had walked out onto the road where vehicles are travelling and has put both herself and others in danger. She had been diagnosed with PTSD 3 years ago by her counsellor who helped explain that another reason why she am unable to leave the house without it causing overwhelming psychological distress is due to the years of abuse she faced by her in laws after her marriage 27 years ago and, as they live in the same area she is always scared of running into them or seeing them, as it can be quite triggering for her to even think of them. She is also extremely embarrassed of her health conditions and, understandably, she does not want anyone to judge her as she is aware she is not as physically or mentally healthy as the average 48 year old and she has a very low self esteem which stops her from leaving my house. Therefore we disagree with the DWPs decision to award my mother 0 points for this descriptor despite - from my research - she should be entitled to several points. I really hope this appeal will help her to get the award she deserves. 
I’m frustrated on my mothers behalf and worried that the outcome of the appeal will not be in our favour. 
My mothers GP has written several letters requesting that the DWP award my mother with the maximum reward possible, and as it causes my mother overwhelming psychological distress even thinking of leaving the safety of her home (not including the fact that she PHYSICALLY CANNOT due to a protruding nerve in her spine causing overwhelming pain) I believe my mother definitely deserves the enhanced rate of mobility for pip. 
Sorry for the long essay!! But I just hope I got my point across. 
Can anyone help me think of what to say on my supporting statement? Or think of anything else I can do to ensure my mother gets the help she needs and deserves? 
Thank you + I appreciate all and any help 


  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,982 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Mimi023. You have done such a great thing in reaching out to us. I appreciate the courage this can take, especially when you are fairly new to the community.

    I can really hear your concerns about the appeal, especially given your experience with your mother repeatedly not receiving the points you feel she deserves. Other than keep demonstrating, with examples, how your mother meets the descriptors there's nothing else we can really advise on.

    Hopefully, people with similar experiences to your own can respond soon though - they might be able to help share how they approached this. Though, it does vary between different people.

    Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to help. We are all here for you and will support you the best we can  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Jimm_Scope
    Jimm_Scope Posts: 3,611 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mimi023, I just want to check if there's been any changes to your situation on this?

    Please let us know if you still have questions that need answering or in need of some support.
    They/Them, however they are no wrong pronouns with me so whatever you feel most comfortable with
    Online Community Specialist

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us. 
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions are my own, such as mashed potato being bad.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.