Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Unfairness

Options
jinnty
jinnty Community member Posts: 57 Courageous
Hello, as being one of 2 people living in our house being disabled, I think it’s beyond belief just how much we are paying for everything that we need being so high  in cost. My husband who is my carer has to go round nearly every shop in our area to try to find the best prices and deals. Right now I’m dreading winter, and the price of our heating, as the 3 of us in the house do suffer in various ways if it’s cold. I actually think it was appalling that people on pip only got the least amount of money even though it has been proved that we use or/and need more energy use or specific food than non disabled. In my opinion, we have been treated, with discrimination. We are told to report any discrimination but who do we report it too if it’s our own government doing it. Sorry for the long post. Like many I’m angry at this. 

Comments

• MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 524 Pioneering
    Options

Hello Jinnty 

Unfortunately, this year, we won't be receiving the £400 government allowance we had last year to help with our bills. Although I was deeply grateful for the extra assistance last time, it seems unlikely that any additional support will be provided this year.

• jinnty
    jinnty Community member Posts: 57 Courageous
    Options
    @MW123
    I know it’s not happening again this year, and yesterday’s record profit for the gas company really shows just how much we are sadly paying. Scope has been fantastic in highlighting just how much energy disabled people use more than non disabled and yet that fact is ignored. I truly am dreading autumn never alone winter. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,446 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2023
    Options
    jinnty said:
     I actually think it was appalling that people on pip only got the least amount of money

That's not true, there were lots of people claiming PIP and a qualifying means tested benefit that also qualified them for the £650 for last year and the first £301 this year, as well as both £150 payments.

Have you used a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit? If you live with a partner you'll need to claim as a couple and your joint circumstances will be taken into consideration. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adeline
    Adeline Community member Posts: 141 Pioneering
    Options
    I feel the same @jinnty. Not so much about the amounts being unfair as those on low incomes on PIP should also have gotten the income related payments but the worry about what is to come.
    I'm really nervous about winter and am cutting back on everything already to try and have some things aside. Food still seems to be going up each week and I've been buying extras and stockpiling since early June in preparation for winter. I can't imagine what our energy bills will be. We're paying over £200 a month already and that's without heating. 

MW123 said:

Hello Jinnty 

Unfortunately, this year, we won't be receiving the £400 government allowance we had last year to help with our bills. Although I was deeply grateful for the extra assistance last time, it seems unlikely that any additional support will be provided this year.

Do you know if there are any more payments coming at all?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,446 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Adeline said:
    I feel the same @jinnty. Not so much about the amounts being unfair as those on low incomes on PIP should also have gotten the income related payments
    They did, if they were claiming certain means tested benefits. Those that don't claim either of them were not entitled and it wouldn't have been possible to look at everyone's circumstances to determine those on low income, without them being in receipt of those specific benefits.

Adeline said:
    Do you know if there are any more payments coming at all?
    No, not that i'm aware of at least not for energy help like there was last year for working age people. There's the Winter Fuel payment for those of state pension age and above. 

There's another cost of living payment of £300 coming in the Autumn and a final one coming in early 2024 for those claiming certain means tested benefits. Full details here. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cost-of-living-payment

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 516 Pioneering
    Options
    You may be able to get some help via the Household Support Fund that is still in place, I believe. You go through your local council, they're for anyone that is vulnerable & finding it difficult to pay for essentials.

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @jinnty

A lot of people have been worrying about the upcoming months and Scope do have their own Disability Energy Support Service should you need any advice or support. If you wanted to report, I would encourage you to let your Local MP know. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.