Should the UK host the Commonwealth Games? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should the UK host the Commonwealth Games?

Options
Hannah_Alumni
Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
Everything was thrown up in the air earlier this week, when Victoria, Australia cancelled plans to host the 2026 Games. 

It has started a lot of discussions online as Birmingham did such a great job hosting the 2022 Games. 

According to Express; "West Midlands Mayor Andy Street says Birmingham’s successful hosting of the sports extravaganza shows the Games can deliver a superb return." This is in reference to a January report that found the Birmingham Games contributed at least £870.7 Million to the UK economy. 

I feel it would be an amazing event for the UK to host, but should we?

Over to you:
  • Would you like the UK to host the Commonwealth Games?
  • Should Birmingham host them again? or Would you pick somewhere else?
  • If Birmingham did host again, should they bring back Ozzy the Bull?
Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Comments

• Rose1955
    Rose1955 Community member Posts: 1 Connected
    Options
    Yes, but maybe give another place a chance although Birmingham has everything in place and did a great job 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @Rose1955 I think it would be great for Wales or Scotland to get the chance to host! :) Like you said, from a cost perspective, everything is in place at Birmingham. 

I also think they did a really great job :) Love Ozzy the Bull <3
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,664 Pioneering
    edited July 2023
    Options
    There are a lot of remnants around the world, where billions has been spent, the stadiums have been left to rot. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/22849178/inside-deserted-athens-olympics-stadiums/

Just to add I'm all for sports. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,783 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I remember the Manchester games in 2002, before them there were perhaps 5 hotels in the city now its full of them and they have the means to stage them.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,199 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm happy to have it here in brum  the bull is now in the train station for everyone to see.  I know Andy he works hard around the Midlands 
  • CATP
    CATP Community member Posts: 86 Courageous
    Options
    woodbine said:
    I remember the Manchester games in 2002, before them there were perhaps 5 hotels in the city now its full of them and they have the means to stage them.

yes i remember it as im from here/there,one of my friends from school (we both went to the same special schools growing up,ended up in the same classes etc) was an oficial steward there,she went on to do stewarding all over the country,living indepdntly all because of what the games did for her.

i also remember it as legendary DJ/rapper grandmaster flash was there doing a set for either the opening or closing.i was watching it on tv.
    the games gave manchester a lot of things to be proud of,as it woud have done for birmingham.
    im all for the UK hosting the games,but i think it shoud go to someone who hasnt hosted yet because it will increase maybe needeed tourism and make locals show an interest in there city like it did for here and birmingham, or even to use another example like what the eurovision did for liverpool.

id say a big city like newcastle shoud host it if theyre given the chance, or somewhere in wales-it really needs a lot of money pumping into it and this coud be there answer.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    edited July 2023
    Options
    There has been more talk online about London having the facilities after the Olympics. I feel with train strikes and just stop oil protests, that may be difficult to work around though.
    Hannah - She / Her

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.