Drs issue with pain — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Drs issue with pain

NachoGrrl
NachoGrrl Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, I'm new here. 
Basically, the past 5 years Ive been living with degenerative issues in my spine to the point I use an electric wheelchair and I'm under a neurosurgeon consultant.

I have degenerative spondylolisthesis, degenerative disc disease with multiple herniated discs, stenosis, and arthritis. 
The way my vertebrae have slipped, its trapping the nerves into both of my legs. So I'm in agony 24/7 with flare ups which I'm incapacitated. My legs go dead too. It's all fun. 
I've gone through all sorts of pain management over the years including nerve root blocks. Currently waiting for another MRI to see if any form of surgery is possible. 

Anyway, to the point. 
Over the past 2 years, I've been begging my doctors for painkillers for my flare ups. I'm not on anything at all unless I buy over the counter at a pharmacy. 
My doctors just flat out refuse. Just recently I've been told by them to stop asking as they're not changing their decision. 
How can they do this? I'm only asking for something stronger than I can buy myself for when I have flare ups. Not for daily or frequent use. 
I'm only 33 years old. I have a son, and a partner. I cant cope with the pain when I have a flare up, and my doctors are just refusing to help.
I've recently been told they might try me on amitriptyline again, but I'm on 200mg sertraline, so I'd have to come off that first. 

Its more of a rant really this, but believe me, I've pretty much tried everything, including acupuncture! 
Any advice would be appreciated. I'm just fed up of being in so much pain. 

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 43,816 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @NachoGrrl welcome to the forum, I hear you loud and clear with pain in flair ups, as I too suffer with flair ups with degenerative disk disease  with narrowing and damaged faucet joints. 
    I can't see why they won't give you anything stronger, I'm offered strongest Co codamol and tramadol. I would suggest you change drs. Have you thought of putting in a complaint to the practice manager.  
    Its no joke being that much pain because over the counter won't be strong enough. 
  • Hannah_Scope
    Hannah_Scope Posts: 7,194 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2023
    Hello @NachoGrrl

I'm so sorry you have been in a lot of pain recently. You could ask for a second opinion or even ask to be referred to a pain clinic so they can assess you too. 

I hope the community can be a place of support for you <3
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 412 Pioneering
    I know where you're coming from, although, I've found nothing that touches my back pain at all, from three failed spinal fusions. I'm on various other meds for different pains elsewhere, which luckily my Dr is okay with. As you're under a consultant, maybe ask them?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.