LCWRA and housing benefits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA and housing benefits

silk123 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)

So I've been awarded LCWRA for a medical condition that stops me from working. I am now trying to move out my family house - My coach at universal credit told me as I don't work and that because I am on LCWRA I'm entitled to the 1 bedroom rate as long as its a 1 bedroom isolated apartment/studio, anything else that is shared I get the shared rate. This seems conflicting with what I've read on this forum and other website were most people have said people on LCWRA are only entitled to the shared rate not matter what.

My second question would be how does anyone actually afford to live when on LCWRA? housing benefits don't usually cover the full rent especially when renting private in London and all the affordable shared housing are usually sub-letted which from my understanding cant be funded on housing benefits and then we have the issue that majority of landlords don't even like accepting people on benefits. 

Any help would be much appreciated  


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,267 Disability Gamechanger
    You can't start a new claim for housing benefit unless you're either living in supported or temporary housing. Help with any rent would be through UC known as housing element. Housing benefit is a completely different benefit, with different rules.

    If you're a single person under the age of 35 then you will only be entitled to the shared rate of LHA if privately renting. To be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate then you would need to claiming either PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care. LCWRA doesn't entitle you to the 1 bedroom rate if under 35.

    If 35 and over then you'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate, even if living in shared accommodation.

    You can still claim help with the rent even if living in a HMO providing you have a liability to pay rent then you can claim.

    It's very likely that living in London or in most places in the UK that the LHA will not cover the whole of your rent. If there's a shortfall you will need to pay that yourself.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @silk123 - I would just like to add a warm welcome. Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to help  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.