Nimbus card

briancharles5612
briancharles5612 Community member Posts: 62 Connected
edited August 2023 in Everyday life
Anyone signed up for this? Reason I’ve put under disability rights is I don’t agree you should pay for a needs assessment card.

went to Blackpool this week and pleasure beach refused to give me a carers ticket for my boy as we didn’t have a card despite high care award and evidence. They tried to get
me to sign up there and then. Had the form To hand which was strange. 

I read the firms website and they talk about the purple pound like it’s something to be milked.

Anyone use this? What’s the general thoughts?

Comments

• surfygoose
    surfygoose Community member Posts: 471 Empowering
    Paultons Park use the Nimbus assessment to pre-book queue assist and essential companion ticket. They use the Nimbus assessment. They don’t make you pay for the card though, they use the assessment to prove your eligibility but they don’t force you to then purchase the card. You have the option to purchase it at the same time but only if you want to. Perhaps Blackpool should take up that system. Though I’d have thought other evidence should be sufficient for just a carers ticket. I understand for queue assist then needing more information as it’s not just about being allowed to use that but they need to know details about what other help is needed and if you can safely evacuate.
  • briancharles5612
    @surfygoose they wouldn’t even look at other evidence. They said they couldn’t judge my sons needs and outsourced assessment. One of the managers nearly went ballistic at me for challenging here.
  • SamJS
    SamJS Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Briancharles5612 I got a Nimbus card after a number of theatre and music venue access depts. changed their rules to use that as evidence. It massively reduces their admin as when you apply for the card you indicate on it what your disability is and if you require a carer. For me going to a gig or theatre performance I cannot stand or queue for long and my walking is poor so stairs are a problem. It’s a huge help in terms of them guiding me to purchasing the correct tickets. 
  • Bery23
    Bery23 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I am trying to get one for my son.. the application is overdue. Made 2/8 they say 10 days. I can't get through by phone. 0330 808 5108 There's a recorded message then the line goes dead..the email address for urgent attention isn't working.. 
    urgent@nimbusdisabilities.com
    Are they still operating?
  • Katie213
    Katie213 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I’m having the same problem with Birmingham hippodrome, they want me to sign up and won’t accept alternative evidence. 
    I’ve tried emailing nimbus but got response.
  • Zoggers
    Zoggers Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    I have one of these cards. You don’t need it but I have found it extremely useful. I don’t need to take any paperwork, just the card and it’s much easier to book things online. It’s £15 for 3 years. £5 a year for convenience. 
  • miss_may
    miss_may Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi, I applied for one recently, my sis is disabled and we take her Drayton manor every year, when we tried to book tickets this year we couldn’t, said on website we have to apply for a nimbus card 7 days in advance, weather was good that week, I was livid but has no choice but to apply, even if you are wheelchair user they ask you, why do you need a disabled toilet cus that’s just not good enough!!! A nightmare. Anyway i applied for 3 years and paid £15 as didn’t want hassle for 3 years!! It indicates what disability you have, so venues will only let you use disabled toilet if it states on card. Anyway we were accepted and I had to pay £10 for next day delivery of card, it came 4 days later! Waste of £10!! By the time we received it, weather has changed to rain!! Worst experience 
  • AndtheSea
    AndtheSea Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Do you mind me asking what exactly is a Nimbus card please? I've never heard of it. Thank you.
  • Zoggers
    @AndtheSea it’s a card that shows what you need when you go out, like if you need someone with you you can get a +1 and many places offer a free or discounted ticket, maybe you can’t queue so that’s on the card etc. It just tells the people wherever you’re going what you need. I’ve linked mine to the ticket factory so if I get tickets for anything it knows I need someone to help me. You don’t need one but I find mine really useful.
  • AndtheSea
    AndtheSea Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Zoggers Oh I see thanks, I'd not heard of them, sounds helpful.
  • Katie213
    Katie213 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    If that was the case, I wouldn’t have a problem with them, but places are claiming you need one, non optional, to receive reasonable adjustments e.g accessible seating.
  • Zoggers
    @Katie123 I know a couple of places that use the card people for their carer tickets etc but from what I read you don’t have to pay for a one off, like one of the safari parks, I don’t know how it works because I just got the card to make things easier but I’ve seen it as an option. I’m just signing up to one of the theatre groups and that says you don’t need the card, there are other ways to verify. It’s similar to the CEA card, you don’t need it but having one means you can order cinema tickets online. I’m not sure how much they are.
  • briancharles5612
    The reason I flagged this is venues that offer concessions are using this as a way to put people off and trying to get them to pay full price. Nearly everywhere wants a weeks notice.

I turned up to the pleasure beach not knowing this with my clearly disabled son with his buggy and restraints and they had a go at me. 

As someone said if you’ve got a wheelchair should you really be asked for more evidence. I think it’s sickening.
  • Zoggers
    @briancharles5612 I suppose they do it because not everyone is the same? Disability is never a one size fits all. Also, making people apply like this takes away any issues with their staff members having to make decisions. I can see both sides of the argument but there are options without paying for one. 
  • Zoggers
    @AndtheSea mine has definitely been good for me. Everyone is different though. I know people that have used them abroad too. You can apply for each individual place on an as and when basis if they use them but apparently you have to apply a week in advance. Most places still accept proof of PIP. I prefer this as I can never find a letter dated in the last twelve months 🤣
  • briancharles5612
    DWP proof is being phased out and if you have needs that require the theme park to make adjustments notice is fine, but for some it’s taken care of by their carers and it’s not taken into account. 
  • joe1uk
    joe1uk Community member Posts: 1 Listener

This is quite worrying..

From the nimbus application…

The +1 symbol can only be awarded where an individual's needs are so significant or substantial that, without support, they would not be able to attend the event.

Therefore, the price of a ticket to bring a carer would place the customer at a significant disadvantage when visiting paid-for events. As such, it would be the LEGAL responsibility of the venue to subsidise this cost by issuing a reduced price / complimentary companion ticket.

The fact that you haven't got a card but have a pip entitlement letter doesn't take away that legal responsibility.

A disabled toilet should be available to all no matter what. No one should be stopped from using it if they feel they need to. Somone with an urgent need to go wouldn't necessarily have pip.

I will continue my fight against this unfair and unnecessarily card along with the cinema version .

Likewise With venues such as Statfold barn that offer 3 pound off for essential carers.

If a pip firm says you can go to new places alone then thsts sufficient to prove it. Same with the other categories. It's common sense which need an essential carer.

This is just greed by the venues. Scared to loose a few quid to disabled and less able. .

• briancharles5612

I believe nimbus has an issue with disabled children and have been bought in to cut down on disability concessions. When I went to Blackpool pleasure beach they said they couldn’t tell if my child was disabled and nimbus were bought in to do that. They’re a pretty nasty company.