Most accurate benefits calculator? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Most accurate benefits calculator?

Options
Caval1er
Caval1er Community member Posts: 40 Connected
Hi, I've just put the same information into the turn to us and entitled to calculators and they give different results. Has anybody else found this please? Does anyone know if one is more accurate than the other please? Many thanks!

Comments

• Caval1er
    Options
    Caval1er said:
    Hi, I've just put the same information into the turn to us and entitled to calculators and they give different results. Has anybody else found this please? Does anyone know if one is more accurate than the other please? Many thanks!
    Can't work out how to delete poat but they are both the same. It's just entitled to has added interest severe disability payment which turn to us doesn't appear to have. At least I think that's it  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,396 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I always find entitled to be quite accurate. Though they are only as accurate as the information you put into them. Which benefits are you currently claiming exactly?

Edit to add, the Severe disability premium you mention is only payable with certain legacy benefits, such as Income Releated ESA, JSA or Income Support.  

There's very specific criteria to be entitled to it. Part of that is you must be claiming a qualifying disability benefit such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or ADP daily living. You must also live alone or be treated as living alone.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Caval1er
    Options
    I always find entitled to be quite accurate. Though they are only as accurate as the information you put into them. Which benefits are you currently claiming exactly?

Edit to add, the Severe disability premium you mention is only payable with certain legacy benefits, such as Income Releated ESA, JSA or Income Support.  

There's very specific criteria to be entitled to it. Part of that is you must be claiming a qualifying disability benefit such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or ADP daily living. You must also live alone or be treated as living alone.
    Hi Poppy, thank you so much for your reply. So, I'm currently claiming contribution based esa (no income based due to inheritance which is about to run out) and pip daily living. Because of inheritance running out i am about to start claiming income related esa, which according to guidance means I will be switched to universal credit because claiming esa income based now seems to trigger that (it didn't affect years ago and I'm sure you helped me with advice on it then, for when this time came. 
    Now, the entitled to calculators has given me the transcational protection £132 due to SDP but im not currently getting SDP as not claiming income related esa so I don't suppose they will be kind and give it me....
  • Caval1er
    Options

I live alone and have pip enhanced daily living and used to get support when had inime related esa so I so fit criteria. The other thing though, entitled to hasn't included pip in calculation, even though I filled in that I got it and how much, is that normal for entitled to to not include pip please? I've done form twice to check it just hadn't got a bug or something.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The guidance you may have read isn't exactly correct or you have misunderstood it. If it's the old contributions based ESA that you're claiming then you can definitely claim the Income Related top for this. To claim it you will need to ring ESA and ask them to send you the ESA3 form. It's rather long but you need to fill that in for them to assess your circumstances for the top up.

To be entitled to the SDP you must either live alone, or treated as living alone (no other adults living with you unless they are also claiming a qualifying disability benefit or registered blind) No one must be claiming either carers allowance or carers element of UC for looking after you.

However, if you need to claim for help with any rent then you can't start a new claim for housing benefit, unless you're either living in supported or temporary housing. For this reason you will need to claim UC for help with any rent. Do you need to claim for help with the rent? If you can let me know and then if you do i can advise further.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Caval1er
    Options
    The guidance you may have read isn't exactly correct or you have misunderstood it. If it's the old contributions based ESA that you're claiming then you can definitely claim the Income Related top for this. To claim it you will need to ring ESA and ask them to send you the ESA3 form. It's rather long but you need to fill that in for them to assess your circumstances for the top up.

To be entitled to the SDP you must either live alone, or treated as living alone (no other adults living with you unless they are also claiming a qualifying disability benefit or registered blind) No one must be claiming either carers allowance or carers element of UC for looking after you.

However, if you need to claim for help with any rent then you can't start a new claim for housing benefit, unless you're either living in supported or temporary housing. For this reason you will need to claim UC for help with any rent. Do you need to claim for help with the rent? If you can let me know and then if you do i can advise further.

Thank you again. The information  i read was on the entitled to website it has a table of reasons why you will have to move to universal credit, it's the last one on the page. Will see if link works https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/changes-that-trigger-universal-credit
    I really hope I don't have to move but it seems to say in the link i do? 
    I don't claim housing benefits and definitely fit criteria for sdp. It would be helpful if they would do calculations as if it was for esa, award the sdp and then move me with transactional protection but im assuming they won't be that kind. Do you know the process by any chance?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That link is incorrect. As i advised you do not need to claim UC at this stage. You can report a change and ask to be assessed for the Income Related top up.

Caval1er said:

I don't claim housing benefits

I know you're not claiming houisng benefit at the moment, that wasn't my question. My question was do you need to claim for help with any rent?
  • Caval1er
    Options
    That link is incorrect. As i advised you do not need to claim UC at this stage. You can report a change and ask to be assessed for the Income Related top up.

Caval1er said:

I don't claim housing benefits

I know you're not claiming houisng benefit at the moment, that wasn't my question. My question was do you need to claim for help with any rent?
    Thank you for confirming the link is incorrect, really grateful for your advice. Sorry I didn't read your question properly. No i have my own house so no rent.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome. As you do not need to claim for help with any rent if your ESA is the old contributions based then you can do as i advised and ring to ask to be assessed for the top up. They may ask for bank statements to prove that you have less than £16,000 in savings.

If you claim UC then you will be worse off than if you claimed the top up because you will not be entitled to the SDP Transitional protection. UC with LCWRA, (even with the SDP TP) pays less than ESA Income Related which includes SDP. If you have savings of more than £6,000 there's a £1/week deduction for every £250 or part there of over this amount.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.