Benefits advice please — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits advice please

tan71 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi my daughter is 17 and has autism,adhd ,anxiety and dyslexia. She is on pip  she started college a year back but couldn't complete as it was to much for her she spends most of her time at home. I am a carer for my partner  and we are claiming un and was wondering if my daughter is able to claim any other benefits for herself other than pip thankyou 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,807 Disability Gamechanger
    tan71 said:
     we are claiming un
    I'm assuming this is a typo and you mean UC? As she is no longer in full time education i would assume that you're no longer claiming child element of UC for looking after her?

    16 and 17 year old can only claim UC in their own right in certain circumstances. Being disabled and waiting for a work capability assessment is one of them. See link.

    Universal Credit claims from 16 and 17 year olds

    The minimum age to claim Universal Credit is generally 18 but in some circumstances the minimum age is lowered to 16 where a person:

    1. has limited capability for work;
    2. is awaiting an assessment to determine whether they have limited capability for work and has a statement given by a registered medical practitioner which provides that the person is not fit for work;
    If she's unable to manage her claim herself, i'd advise you to start a claim for her as if you are her. Once the claim is submitted you need to put a message onto her journal and ask to become her appointee. A work coach will then arrange that for you.

    As she's under 25 then she'll be entitled to £292.11/month. When you claim you will need to report her health condition, supported by a fit note within 7 days of that. She will then be referred for a work capability assessment (usually on day 29) you will be responsible for filling in and returning the form.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.