Hi, my name is Dixon61! Query about being a financial appointee — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Dixon61! Query about being a financial appointee

Options
Dixon61
Dixon61 Community member Posts: 5 Listener

Hello, I am hoping someone may be able to help. I have an older brother with severe learning disabilities. He lives in residential care and is funded by Continuing Healthcare. He now receives a state pension and I am financial appointee for him.

My question is what happens to his money when he passes away? It's not going to be a huge amount of money so going to the Court of Protection seems a bit heavy handed. I am keen to spend his money to improve his quality of life but I am meeting opposition from other family members.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Dixon61

Welcome to the community! :) I hope you are well? 

Citizen's Advice has an information page on Dealing with the financial affairs of someone who has died. I think it would be useful to read. You could even reach out to them for more specific advice. If you are meeting opposition from family, this webpage says a solicitor may be necessary, and Citizen's Advice can advise with finding legal representation too. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Dixon61
    Options
    Thank you Hannah. I am going to try CAB.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Let us know how you get on :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Dixon61
    Options
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Dixon61 and welcome to the community. I work within the content team at Scope who write the information and advice pages. We have actually just finished a group of pieces about what happens when someone dies. I hope you find these helpful.

• Making a will which looks at making a will, mental capacity and what happens if you die without a will.
    • Trusts and inheritance which looks at leaving money to a disabled person, a disabled persons trust and what happens when you inherit money.

You mentioned that you are keen to spend his money to improve his quality of life but are meeting opposition from other family members, is his money currently in a trust? I ask this because I wondered if the opposition was from trustees.

It sounds like you have your brothers best interests at heart and just want to use the money for him. Are there any examples that they have said no to? 

I hope this helps, and please let us know how you get on. :)

Scope

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you managed to contact these resources yet @Dixon61? I am just wondering if you would like to share a little more with us about how this has gone for you and if we can do anything to support you further if you have  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Dixon61
    Options
    I am waiting to hear back from a Solicitor. I was hoping to have heard by now. I'll let you know when I have an update
  • Dixon61
    Options
    A quick update. After several months of contacting various agencies and being sent down numerous cul de sacs I have finally found a solution. I was informed last Friday that the DOLS assessment has agreed that he needs a paid Representative and have authorised the appointment of an advocate. Its been a struggle getting the answers but I feel that his Best Interests can now be served.
    He has had his bedroom redecorated but there is no holiday planned yet.
    I am his financial appointee and doing my very best to ensure he doesn´t go without.
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 479 Pioneering
    Options
    @Dixon61

Well done! Your persistent efforts have paid off, resulting in a positive outcome for your brother with the authorisation of a paid representative through the DOLS assessment. This is a significant stride towards ensuring his best interests are served. The redecoration of his bedroom sounds lovely. Your role as the financial appointee showcases your commitment to ensuring he receives the care he needs. I am sure when the time comes you will find the perfect holiday.  Wishing you and your brother a very happy Christmas.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.