Do I need to disclose my PIP award and back pay to UC please? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I need to disclose my PIP award and back pay to UC please?

sendmum Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have just been given PIP standard daily living and a back pay of just over £1300.
I applied for UC at the end of July and my first payment is the end of August.
I have no work search responsibilities as I get carers element to look after my disabled daughter who has learning disabilities (I did disclose this fully to PIP at the assessment so they are aware I am a carer.

Do I need to tell UC that I have got PIP and have received the £1300 back pay please?


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,133 Disability Gamechanger
    The money owed from PIP is disregarded from savings for 1 year so no you do not need to tell them about that. Savings of less than £6,000 are ignored anyway.

    You can tell UC that you're now claiming PIP. If you're claiming with a partner and they look after you for at least 35 hours per week then they can claim carers element for looking after you.

    Are you reporting your health condition? If you did this you will need to send fit notes within 7 days of that. If you're then found to have LCWRA you'll be entitled to extra money from the 4th month of your claim. You won't be entitled to carers element at the same time as this but you'll receive the highest element which would be LCWRA and is more per month than carers element as it pays £390.06/month, where as carers element is only £185.86/month.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.