Offer of 8 hours work - I can choose self employed or employed, which one? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Offer of 8 hours work - I can choose self employed or employed, which one?

Lottie1732
Lottie1732 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
edited September 2023 in Work and employment
Hello,

I've been offered 8 hours work a week via a former colleague (and friend).  The 8 hours has the potential to increase in the coming months/year.  Comes to about £160 a week before tax etc.  The whole thing could disappear in a flash if friend decides to retire in the not so distant future. 

I am already registered self-employed and have small earnings (less than the UC threshold of £379).

The employer has made the offer and I can decide if i want this to be on a self employed basis or as an employee.  I do have a self-employed loss that carried forward from the tax year to April 2022.  Should I ask to go self employed for this new opportunity so as to get the goodness from the brought forward loss for tax purposes?

Being self employed I also offset some costs against the income (which I do now).

Am I right in thinking that continuing with this as self employed is the way to go?

Should I ask for slightly more than they've offered because as self employed I won't have any employed rights? Or is that pushing things a bit!

Thinking out loud a bit here. Currently packing to move house! Scary stuff. 

Thank you
Lottie

Tagged:

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.