Deprivation of assets — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Deprivation of assets

Njai Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, I currently receive Universal Credit with lcwra and pip. I have inherited money that will put me over the savings threshold so will be signing off but if I pay off credit cards and catalogues etc I will be back below it again so would open my claim again. Is this ok to do? 
This money is from my husband who died unexpectedly, am I right in thinking I can’t gift or put any aside for our children as that would count as deprivation of assets?
Thanks in advance!


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,293 Disability Gamechanger
    Paying off debt is allowed when claiming UC. You will need to report the savings when it’s paid into your bank but if you’re then below £16,000 your UC can continue.

    For every £250 or part there of over £6,000 there’s a £4.35/month deduction.

    You can give money to your children but you’re right, you will still be classed as having that money. You can’t just give your money away without it affecting your benefits. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.