If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Feel so self conscious

Options
Damo1
Damo1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2023 in Coffee lounge
Hi, had a motorbike accident last year and ended up with a double amputation above the knees. I haven't really come to terms with it. Lots of problems and challenges. This situation has turned my world upside down. One of my biggest problems is getting out the front door. Ifeel so self conscious. People look at me and turn away. Need some encouragement.

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,140 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Damo1 and a very warm welcome to the community. It's great to have you here and I'm looking forward to getting to know you.

I'm really sorry to hear about your motorbike accident. My nephew had a motorbike accident a few years back and he was very lucky to survive. I think it's important to remember you've been through a huge and life-changing experience. It will take quite some time to come to terms with. Have the hospital offered you any counselling or emotional support?

Do you have any friends or family supporting you? I wonder if you'd feel more comfortable leaving the house with someone else for now? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,628 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Damo1 welcome to the form, sorry to read about your awful accident. That takes a lot to come to terms with.  
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,155 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Apologies for narrowing down on one part of your post but what do you mean by "People look at me and turn away"? Would you prefer if people looked, just wondering as this actually made me realise I myself do this (look away) when I see people who have visible disabilities. The reason I do this is that I don't want them to think I am staring and get upset. In truth I would not be staring any more than anyone else as I glance at everyone for a few seconds. I guess there is a fine line between glancing at someone and staring?
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.