ESA50 form "received by 9th August." Can it be received on the 9th August? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA50 form "received by 9th August." Can it be received on the 9th August?

Options
hughie1
hughie1 Community member Posts: 42 Connected
I leave everything until last minute. I cannot help it. I planned on sending the form tomorrow on next day delivery so they get it on the 8th August.

I am not sure now if I am going to be able to do that and might need to send it the day after, again using next day delivery. So, in other words, they will receive it on the 9th August. 

Does by the 9th mean on the 9th or does it mean it has to be received on the 8th at the latest?

Also, can I post it in the freepost envelope which came with the form using the next day delivery service at the post office? Will it get confused for FREEPOST and, thus, be sent slower delivery?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It has to arrive no later than the date stated in the letter. They are usually returned straight to Health Assessment Advisory Service rather than to DWP first so there's more chance of it arriving the following day but this isn't guaranteed.

If there is a marker on your file DWP have discretion to allow either a late return or even no return of the form but i don't think you should reply on that unless you're 100% certain there's a marker on your file.

You can use the freepost envelope but pay the difference. If sending next day delivery they will put a label on it anyway so it should take preferrence to the freepost.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • hughie1
    Options
    It has to arrive no later than the date stated in the letter. They are usually returned straight to Health Assessment Advisory Service rather than to DWP first so there's more chance of it arriving the following day but this isn't guaranteed.

Yes on the freepost envelope included it says "Centre for Health and Disability Assessments."

I guess if I am sending it next day delivery to arrive on the 9th then I will have proof of delivery on that date.

If there is a marker on your file DWP have discretion to allow either a late return or even no return of the form but i don't think you should reply on that unless you're 100% certain there's a marker on your file.

What do you mean by a "marker on your file?"

You can use the freepost envelope but pay the difference. If sending next day delivery they will put a label on it anyway so it should take preferrence to the freepost.

• poppy123456
    Options
    A marker applies to some who may need extra support when filling out forms because of their health conditions. It doesn't apply to everyone and will depend on each individual claimant.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • hughie1
    Options
    How come there is so much emphasis on the phone being received on time? For example on the the chdauk website it says,

"As soon as you have completed the form, you need to sign and date it, and return it in the envelope we provided. It is really important for you to return the form before its due date.

The Department for Work and Pensions may not be able to continue to pay you benefits if we don’t receive this form in time."

• poppy123456
    Options
    You can be found fit for work for failing to return it on time. Though they won’t just find you fit for work they will give you chance to explain why you didn’t return it on time. 
    Having a marker on your file means they can use their own discretion as advised above. 
  • hughie1
    Options
    Does anybody know if there will be any consequences if I were to return it one day late?

My reason being that for some unknow exact reason I leave everything until last minute or until late. I am programmed this way. I don't do so on purpose. It is never my intention. I just cannot help it. I am a real perfectionist (I don't say that with a smile on my face). I build things up in to a mountain. I have to check them over and over again. I have to edit them many times. It never feels right or good enough. I have mental health issues. OCD (diagnosed), Depression (not an official diagnosis), ADHD (not been diagnosed). This is my only explanation I have for if I was to return it late.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    In the form there’s a space for you to fill in if you’re returning it late, so you will need to do that.

As I advised in previous comments if there’s a marker on your file it won’t make a difference because they will use their own discretion anyway. 

If there’s no marker then your file maybe returned to DWP for failing to return the form. You will then be contacted to ask why you didn’t return it. You will then need to give your reasons. They will then make a decision to either return your file to the Health Assessment Advisory Service or find you fit for work. 
  • hughie1
    Options
    As expected I did not manage to finish on time yesterday so I will be returning it today on next day delivery. It will arrive one day later than the letter said it should. My only reason are my mental health.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your mental health is absolutely pivotal @hughie1. How are you doing with everything at the moment?
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.