Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Tips on PIP assessment? And advice on light weight walking stick?

Options
4380 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everyone, I am going through cancer treatment at the moment but recently been diagnosed with oa in knees and hands. I've sent off a pip claim and have a telephone assessment next week. I was looking for advice on what's involved and any helpful tips etc. 
Thanks in advance 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,162 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @4380 - & first, welcome to the community. About your PIP assessment:
     - If you have kept a copy of your initial claim form, have a read through it.
     - Ideally you should have given 1 or 2 recent, detailed examples of the difficulty you face doing/attempting each applicable activity/descriptor that is looked at with PIP, i.e. when exactly did this occur, where, what exactly happened, why did you have difficulty, did anyone else see this, & were there any consequences to this, if applicable?
     - have a look at the PIP descriptors in this link, reading the notes at the end. The word 'reliably,' which is so important, isn't mentioned as such, but it's if you can't do an activity safely, to an acceptable standard, if you can't repeat it as often as would normally be expected, or if it takes you longer than a person without your disability. If you can't do an activity 'reliably,' say so, explaining why. Please see: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/personal-independence-payment-descriptors-and-scores-april-2023.pdf
     - see if there were any gaps where you didn't give those important detailed examples for each applicable PIP activities/descriptors in your initial claim form. Try to include these in your assessment if asked about any
     - you may be asked questions which you feel don't directly address the PIP descriptors, but they will, sometimes looking across a few, e.g. do you drive, do you have a pet?
    - if you're unsure about any question, just ask for it to be repeated. Take your time in answering, & don't just answer yes or no.
    - make sure your phone is fully charged, & if you'd like someone there to support you, put your phone on speaker phone so they can listen in. Good luck.

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @4380

Just wanted to welcome you to the community! :) I hope you are having a good day today? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    4380 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hello all thanks for the advice.  I've had my first msk appointment and he injected both knees. Wasn't as bad as I thought and I'm quite surprised that it was offered. 
    I'm after a decent lightweight walking stick if anyone has any tips. I realised after I'd left I should have asked at my appointment...duh

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.