If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unable to get medicines

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,647 Pioneering
My chemist is closed again today (no signs on door or any indication for reasons) - the post has not been delivered for 2 weeks (due to lack of postal workers) - so can't rely on a "drugs by post" service
I am only allowed a months prescription at a time
I need my pain killers from Friday 
Any suggestions ?

Comments

• C_J
    C_J Community member Posts: 715 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Wibbles sorry to hear that your having problems is there another chemist nearby if you have a prescription you can use another chemist if not the only other option I can think of is to contact you GP surgery.
    I hope you get it sorted.
  • Wibbles
    Options
    C_J said:
    Hi @Wibbles sorry to hear that your having problems is there another chemist nearby if you have a prescription you can use another chemist if not the only other option I can think of is to contact you GP surgery.
    Only boots and they are equally bad 
  • Wibbles
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    C_J said:
    Only boots and they are equally bad 
    My drugs are on repeat so it's not that simple 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,678 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Can you reduce dosage slightly so they last a few more days? 

I know it's probably too late now but that's what I've had to do when mine has been delayed.  I have to wait until someone can collect them for me so it's a lot of extra hassle when they're not in on the correct day.
  • Wibbles
    Options

I know it's probably too late now but that's what I've had to do when mine has been delayed.  I have to wait until someone can collect them for me so it's a lot of extra hassle when they're not in on the correct day.
    No I can't cut a tablet in half
  • Wibbles
    Options
    The pharmacy does not provide an email address and is not responding to facebook
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,807 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    we put our repeats online with Gp they send them electronically to chemist who deliver them within 48 hours, might be a thought for the future
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Wibbles
    edited August 2023
    Options
    woodbine said:
    we put our repeats online with Gp they send them electronically to chemist who deliver them within 48 hours, might be a thought for the future
    Not at my pharmacy 
    They have a central hub and mail them out by royal mail
    Lack of staff = lack of dispensing chemist
    A pharmacy must have a chemist on duty at all times that it is open 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,678 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    Why not?  My Nan even had a special tool for cutting hers, but used to do it with scissors before.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,246 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Wibbles said:

When my daughter first started her medication some years ago her GP told her to only take half a dose. The tablets weren't available at the time in smaller doses so they told her to cut the tablet in half.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,635 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2023
    Options

I bought one off they wee tablet cutters it’s only £3.99 and works so good. 

I really hope you can get your prescription sorted, as suggested Im sure your doctor will help with a prescription to do you over the weekend even though your tablets are on repeat. My doctors had to do it before.

Good luck 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,807 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have a cutter works great the hospital gave it to us 5 years ago.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,140 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Wibbles, I know you've said the other nearby pharmacy are equally as bad but with yours being closed it might be worth a try for this occasion, especially if they are open today.

The NHS has some information on accessing out-of-hours medication or if your pharmacy is closed. 

As an aside, I know everyone means well with regards to cutting medicine in half to try and make them last, but it's important to remember that some medicine can’t or shouldn’t be cut and doing so could be dangerous. Please only change or adjust a dose of medication after consulting a medical professional. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 516 Pioneering
    Options
    The same happened to me, I arrived to shutters down, at least there was a handwritten sign saying they didn't have a dispensing chemist. Apparently, there's a shortage.

Is it worth asking your surgery to cancel that prescription & send it to another pharmacy? You could phone Boots/them beforehand to make sure they have the medication you need.

• Wibbles
    Options
    Hello @Wibbles, I know you've said the other nearby pharmacy are equally as bad but with yours being closed it might be worth a try for this occasion, especially if they are open today.

The NHS has some information on accessing out-of-hours medication or if your pharmacy is closed. 

As an aside, I know everyone means well with regards to cutting medicine in half to try and make them last, but it's important to remember that some medicine can’t or shouldn’t be cut and doing so could be dangerous. Please only change or adjust a dose of medication after consulting a medical professional. 
    Thanks yes
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,897 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have had the same problem getting medication from my pharmacy at the moment aa my app won't work since May because of an update on the system so i have too email but when I email I get no response and I have definitely sent it but they always say that there's nothing on their side 
  • sunshine23
    sunshine23 Community member Posts: 36 Connected
    Options
    I was in a similar situation. I rang my GP surgery and they were able to directly email a prescription to another pharmacy. I am not sure if you are able to do that? Hope it works out for you either way.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,605 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Only thing I can suggest is use out of hours services to get another script  for another chemist over the weekend 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,140 Scope online community team
    Options
    Did you manage to sort something @Wibbles
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Wibbles
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Did you manage to sort something @Wibbles

Yes thanks - they were open for an hour, earlier this afternoon - the queues were large
    Evidently - they are short of staff
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.