If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Refugees

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,647 Pioneering
Do you think that it is the best thing to do to sail UK ships to just off the French coast to rescue refugees?
What's the alternative? 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,809 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We should do anything that's needed, there is no alternative to being members of the human race, this govt. is doing what it did in 2010-13 trying to demonise asylum seekers as it tried with the sick/disabled/unemployed but they don't do it in my name, there next move will be building concentration camps....unbelievable !
    They try to give the impression others are to blame when in fact they have been in power for 13 years and any problems are of there own making, the sooner they are gone the better....imho
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• emancherry33
    emancherry33 Community member Posts: 3,640 Pioneering
    Options
    I regularly talk to refugees and have found out that most that I have talked to are actually economic migrants but have been given bad advice by the people traffickers and the various government advisors from the different countries they have gone through. Where they have been told the easiest way into Britain is to say your a asylum seeker and if they went home they would die and also burn there passports and identity papers as again if there unstated they will be aloud into the country. They are made to burn their paperwork in France or there place on the boat will be taken by people who do. 90% I have talked to told me they wanted to come to the UK to work but with out their paperwork they are not allowed to work. They are angry as they have been told if they kept there paperwork they would have been assessed quicker and allowed to work and not stuck in a hotel not allowed to do anything.  One gentleman I chat to is a engineering but alas no paperwork he can't work he regrets he burned his paperwork . But I have talked to genuine aslyseeker who jump at the slightest bang, showed me some really nasty injuries or people who constantly cry or struggle to talk, it sometimes takes weeks before the person is comfortable to start talking to you . Those are the people do need proper professional help and support and are not left to cry crawled up in a dark corner.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,729 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm a bit embarrased to admit but when I was young I did fall for the media marketing of demonising refugees (along with those not working, disabled and every other group they point the finger at!). It also filled me with self-hatred and believe I wasn't worthy because I'm not like everyone else.
    I'm really glad I woke up and noticed what the media and government do. All people deserve security, safety and a place to call home.
    I don't know what the answer is but I agree completely with @woodbine that we should do anything that's needed to help them
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,647 Pioneering
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I am sure that many people will feel different - but I feel that they should be welcomed in the UK when they come legally - but not when they come, simply for financial reasons illegally.
    To start with, when will it stop ?
    Year after year - the number of people entering UK, illegally, increases exponentially - and will continue to do so.
    International law requires them to be given refuge in the first safe country that they come to - Italy, Greece, Spain or France - why do they want come to UK ?
    How many refugees can UK take ?
    10 million, 20 million, more ....?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.