Hi, my name is Fafa! Do I need to contact the Housing Benefit? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Fafa! Do I need to contact the Housing Benefit?

Fafa Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I live with my son and I am seperated from my husband. He does visit us frequently. I do receive Housing Benefit. My ex partner does not work. He does not have his own home and no job. We are thinking to be back together but I do hesitate always. 
I do offer him food. I want to know if he leaves with us. Do I need to contact the Housing Benefit? And what document do they need? 


  • Hannah_Scope
    Hannah_Scope Posts: 5,954 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Fafa

    Welcome to the community! :) 

    According to the GOV webpage you need to contact Housing Benefit if:
    You need to report a change of circumstances for you and anyone else in your house.
    Your claim might be stopped or reduced if you do not report a change of circumstances straight away.
    Changes can include:
    • starting or stopping work, education, training or an apprenticeship
    • changes to the benefits you or anyone else in your house gets
    • changes to your personal or workplace pension
    • changes to your savings, investments or property
    • your income going up or down
    • moving house
    • your rent going up or down
    • going abroad for any length of time
    • going into hospital, a care home or sheltered accommodation
    • people moving into or out of your house (for example your partner, a child or lodger)
    • having a baby
    • your partner or someone you live with dying
    • your child turning 18
    • changes to your immigration status, if you’re not a British citizen
    So yes, you'll need to contact housing benefit and they will let you know if they need any documentation :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,778 Disability Gamechanger
    Are either of you claiming any other benefits? if so which ones exactly?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.