Struggling with esa review anxiety — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Struggling with esa review anxiety

Options
th1990
th1990 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hi guys i just dont know what to do and i have no one to talk to so thought inwould post here. I have had one of the worst years dealing with home loss, health issues and close family health issues. Ive been a wreck for the whole year. I fortunately found a new home and moved in a few months ago and had trouble adjusting. I had advice from here at scope regarding my benefits and remained on esa/pip after the move so i did not have an assessment for UC on top of everything that has happened. Im sure you can guess where this is going.

I first received a pip assessment letter 8 weeks ago followed 3 weeks later by an ESA assessment letter. I havent been able to handle this and im just so scared about my future. I have problems with anxiety/depression which also causes extreme pomphlyx flare ups on my hands/feet that cause problems with mobility. Ive become pretty house bound and just as i had started to settle down a bit i get both assessments through. I havent even been able to get an appointment at the local mental health team until september which i was urgently referred to 3 months ago and was just prescribed some additional pills like diazepam and propranolol. Ive done my forms and sent them back weeks ago. I rang pip and they said i might not hear anything for 6 months to a year ...... Esa have sent a letter asking for medical record permission. I am just stuck in limbo. i feel like i am waiting for a sentence to be passed down to me. Probably doesnt help i had to dona reconsideration for support group which i did win last time.

logic tells me that as my conditions have only worsened and that the fact i have been found not fit in the past by pip esa i should be ok? is this the right mind set to have? i keep seeing articles in my descent into google about peoples horror stories with assessments and that the fact they want to cut down on the help people receive long term and its really hard to get a grip on whats happening. im just constantly on edge and my anxiety makes me act like ive already been denied and i just wanted to ask if anyone has any advice about what i should expect and what i can do to deal with the wait? im really sorry for the long message i just dont know where else to turn.

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You don’t need to worry, backlogs are huge at present and it is true that you may be waiting onwards of up to a year for your claims to be reviewed. Unfortunately, there’s no way around having a review. I do recommend that you give permission for ESA to use your Medical Record, this may or may not indicate them trying to assess you on paper evidence rather than telephone or face to face, this can be seen as a good thing.

One of the worst things you can possibly do is read newspaper articles on any sort of benefit, completely false reporting and some of them do make me laugh. The same goes for Facebook, I highly recommend you never ask for advice on that either.
  • th1990
    Options
    So even with esa asking for my records
    and sending me the form i could still end up in a backlog? i just assumed that because i had been sent the form and they had asked for medical records that i was just being dealt with now?

ive also been a bit worried about the request for my records as since moving to a new area i havent been able to see a doctor that ive been able to get to know well and explain how my day to day is affected by my condition. so ive been worrying that they could just mark me as fit because the doctors here wouldnt have much knowledge about me on a personal level. 

i hope im just overthinking everything but due to my silly brain its hard for me not to just assume everything and anything could go wrong and behave like it already has. i agree though about searching online about the topic. i should probably try to extend my "no medical symptoms googling" to benefits to keep me away from the bad information.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @th1990

I'm so sorry to hear you've had such a rough year. I wanted to comment as you have said you are awaiting help from a mental health team but I wanted to see if you had other support around you?

There are many organisations there to listen if you ever feel the need to reach out to someone; MindHub of Hope and SHOUT
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, all cases go to a Healthcare Professional prior to them requesting an appointment to see you. This is done to see if a decision can be made on paper evidence only, which in a review is more likely than the new-claims process. Your health record can be a useful factor in this.

Moving area isn’t a problem either, ESA or any other benefit in fact aren’t actually bothered how often you see your doctor. This is because a GP isn’t really going to know the full ins and outs of you and how your conditions affect your day to day life regardless of how many times you’ve seen them. It’s the same as a new claim and getting a fit note from your GP to start the process, even if your doctor says you are unfit for work, ESA can still decide otherwise. It’s more a formality.

Please try to keep yourself distracted, any more questions please do ask.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,394 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Are you sure they've requested your medical records? It's very rare for them to do that for an ESA review. Usually if they contact anyone it's a GP and they are usually sent the ESA113 form to fill in and return. This is a standard tick box form that they sometimes send out. You can see it here. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/esa113-interactive-for-use-by-healthcare-practitioners

We've had some members here that are waiting for a UC work capability assessment review (returned the forms) just a few weeks ago and they've received an appointment for a work capability assessment already.

I've not heard of any members receiving an appointment for a ESA review but there hasn't been that many people that have been contacted for a review anyway.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • th1990
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope thanks i am getting some support but i struggle to make much ground in terms of online and over the phone. i find it hard to connect with anyone that way but i am getting help through some of the services you listed but i will definitely look into the others i am not in touch with. thanks  
  • th1990
    Options
    @poppy123456 i received a letter from my new gp practice stating i need to give permission for the dwp to access my medical info. i assumed this is to access my medical records. i know they can contact doctors but ive never had it happen in the past so im not too informed about the process 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It is positive to hear you are getting some support @th1990. In an ideal world, what would support and making ground look like for you at the moment - is there anything that helps you to connect with other people? Have you consented to the DWP accessing your medical info? Just trying to hear you and your current circumstances as clearly as I can. You deserve all the support you need  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Smarties
    Smarties Community member Posts: 29 Listener
    Options
    Hi I know how u feel I’m still waiting to hear back. 

I’m due a review of my LCWRA been on it for last 3 years so this is my first review got a message on my journal in June and I sent the forms back in July scince then I have heard nothing from them I keep checking my UC journal but nothing gives me anxiety too 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.