16 year old working part time — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

16 year old working part time

rachelh72 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi myself and husband currently receive ESA, PIP plus Severe Disibilty Allowance, Housing and Council Tax Benefits and Child Tax Credits and Benefit. My 16 year old is about to start 23 hours a week part time work. Am I correct in thinking that this will NOT affect any of our benefits? So long as it remains under 24 hours a week working? Thank you


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,590 Disability Gamechanger
    If they are remaining in full time non advanced education then your benefits for them will continue, you must report the changes to HMRC. Yes, they can work but it must be under 24 hours/week. https://www.gov.uk/child-tax-credit-when-child-reaches-16

    If they have left education then your benefits for them will end. This will then end the Severe disability Premium in with your ESA, unless the 16 year old either claims a qualifying benefit theirself or they are registered blind.

    There will not be any deductions from Housing benefit because you're claiming PIP.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.