Help with travel costs — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with travel costs

Options
RainbowFluff
RainbowFluff Community member Posts: 8 Courageous
Does anyone know if there is a way to get help with transport costs?

My mum isn't expected to live much longer but she lives nearly 400 miles away. We had to give up our car last year because we couldn't afford it any more and the train fare is out of my reach, especially as I'd need to pay for my husband who is my carer to come too.

Is there any help we can get for travel costs? I hate not being able to be with her but we don't have any spare income

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,394 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I’m so sorry to hear this. I’m not aware of any help with travel costs unless it’s for medical appointments. 

There’s a disabled rail card for a third off travel for yourself and a carer but you have to pay for that, as well as the reduced costs for travel. 

Do you have a family member that could take you to see her? Or a close friend?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,670 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As above, never seen any such help sorry to say, the railcard offers good value which would offer both of you a third off rail fares.

https://www.railcard.co.uk/about-railcards/#DPRC
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• RainbowFluff
    Options
    I’m so sorry to hear this. I’m not aware of any help with travel costs unless it’s for medical appointments. 

There’s a disabled rail card for a third off travel for yourself and a carer but you have to pay for that, as well as the reduced costs for travel. 

Do you have a family member that could take you to see her? Or a close friend?
    I don't really have any family, me and my siblings don't talk and I don't have any friends. It has just been me and my husband for many years now. 
  • RainbowFluff
    Options
    woodbine said:
    As above, never seen any such help sorry to say, the railcard offers good value which would offer both of you a third off rail fares.

https://www.railcard.co.uk/about-railcards/#DPRC
    I'm not currently eligible as I'm waiting for a tribunal for my PIP.
  • THE_DUDE
    THE_DUDE Community member Posts: 191 Pioneering
    Options
    SUNus said:
     Btw, maybe someone can recommend beautiful places to visit in the US? I'm going there next weekend.

Maybe find a place that shows manners?

Ever heard the saying read the room. Just wow. No respect at all.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get help with transport costs?

My mum isn't expected to live much longer but she lives nearly 400 miles away. We had to give up our car last year because we couldn't afford it any more and the train fare is out of my reach, especially as I'd need to pay for my husband who is my carer to come too.

Is there any help we can get for travel costs? I hate not being able to be with her but we don't have any spare income
    Hope you find a way. Truly is heartbreaking. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.