Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

PIP & ESA

Options
DD91
DD91 Community member Posts: 97 Connected
edited August 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I just got a letter saying my esa is going to be £208.80 a fortnight instead of £237 the reason on the letter says “A change in Money coming in” the only other money I get is from pip I thought they two benefits weren’t related? Is it because I’m getting a higher pip rate than last time? 
Thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,131 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A higher PIP award shouldn't reduce your ESA. I can't work out what your ESA includes, did you mean to say that it's been reduced to £208.80/week instead of a fortnight? if so, are you living with a partner that is named on your ESA? or do you live alone? are you receiving any pensions?

Sorry for the questions but it's difficult to advise without more information.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • DD91
    Options
    Hi No it’s being reduced to £104.40 a week, I live with my mum and I don’t get any other money apart from ESA and PIP 
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Which ESA are you claiming? New style ESA/Contributions based or Income Related? If it's Income Related does your mum claim a disability benefit herself such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or AA? are there any other adults living with you?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • DD91
    Options
    I think it’s Income related, my mum is on the new Scottish pip thing and UC my brother lives with us but he works 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Are you in the Support Group? Are you claiming carers allowance for look after your mum? If you’re in the Support Group and not claiming carers allowance then you will need to ring ESA to ask them why it’s reduced. 
  • DD91
    Options
    I’m not in the support group and I’m not claiming carers allowance neither is my mum 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I’m sorry you will need to ring them on Tuesday when they open. 

I have tried several times to work out the figures but they are not matching up with the amount you’re receiving. Unless there’s a deduction for something you’re not aware of.

Does your PIP include Enhanced daily living? I’m also assuming that your ESA claim started before 3rd April 2017?
  • DD91
    Options
    Hi I receive standard daily living and enhanced mobility, and yea I received ESA before April 2017
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Then without deductions your ESA should be £118.50/week. (£237/fortnight) 

In the letter you received It should have given you details of what’s included in your ESA, including any possible deductions. 
  • DD91
    Options
    Hi Poppy thank you I feel really stupid  :# I’m at my dads and my mum said it was £104.40 I’ve just seen the letter and that was what I got in 2021 for April 2023 it’s still £118.50 thank you for your help and I’m sorry for wasting your time next time I will wait to see the letter myself lol 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Oops 😂 it’s no problem we all make mistakes. At least you now know everything is ok. 
  • DD91
    Options
    I’m embarrassed just thinking about it  :D  :D
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Haha don’t be, it’s funny 😂
  • DD91
    Options
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.