ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA

Options
Katesdad
Katesdad Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I was placed on Contribution based ESA lower rate Jul 22 - Jul 23, I received a letter from DWP saying that after 365 days my ESA would end, and I would receive no further payments I contacted DWP who told me that I would need to claim UC. I did this but because my wife receives a personal pension, we would not receive any payments. My condition has changed, and I have recently been placed on ESA support at a higher level. My question is should I cancel my UC claim or would it stop my ESA claim?

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Katesdad and welcome to the community.
    Cancelling your UC won't stop your ESA claim, but have you calculated to make sure you wouldn't be entitled to any UC in addition to your ESA? It's worth double checking before you cancel your claim. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Katesdad
    Options
    Hello Adrian Thanks for the quick reply, I have checked regarding UC, and I am not going to receive any payments as my wife gets over the limit on her personal pension. I have tried a few online calculators and have the same answer.
  • Katesdad
    Options
    If I take some of my own personal pension as a lump sum would this affect my ESA claim? I claimed the tax-free part a few years ago. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,824 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Katesdad said:
    If I take some of my own personal pension as a lump sum would this affect my ESA claim? I claimed the tax-free part a few years ago. 

Any weekly/monthly pension income that you receive of up to £85/week is ignored. For every £1 over this amount your ESA would reduce by 50p/week.

You need to tell ESA that you're receiving a pension if you claim it, even if it's less than £85/week.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wol139
    wol139 Community member Posts: 22 Listener
    Options
    Hi there. I’ve retired 3 years early on ill health. I get pip.  Talking to support coach Thurs by phone. What do they ask. Cheers 🕊🕊
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,824 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    wol139 said:
    Hi there. I’ve retired 3 years early on ill health. I get pip.  Talking to support coach Thurs by phone. What do they ask. Cheers 🕊🕊
    Looking back at your previous comment on another thread I see you’ve recently applied for New style ESA so this would be a new claim appointment. You will just be asked to agree to your claimant commitments. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.