Backdated disabled child element — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Backdated disabled child element

Carley2830_ Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Good afternoon

Can anyone give advice regarding UC and child disabled payments.

My son is entitled to the higher child disabled element from 1 march 2023, I received a letter on the 7th August that special circumstances apply and my universal credit would be amended, to date this has not been done.

I rang UC and was told to leave a journal message in regards to the change not happening and was told I had to wait for my caring to be updated (that was submitted 10th August 2023 and never knew about UC carers element) 

I don't understand why I'm having to wait for caring to be updated to receive the backdated child disabled element and seem to be getting no where when I ring or leave messages in my journal.

Many thanks 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,829 Disability Gamechanger
    You shouldn't need to wait for the carers element before they can pay what is owed for the disabled child element. It's not unusual for it to take quite a few weeks to pay what is owed. Before they can do this they have to recalculate your past statements to work out how much you've received against what you've already received. Once this is done you'll receive a letter on your journal telling you how much is owed and it will then be paid into your bank.

    Put a message on your journal under the payment section and ask about the disabled child element they owe you.

    For the carers element, providing you're not claiming the LCWRA element for yourself then you'll be entitled to the carers element. If you are claiming the LCWRA element for yourself and you're claiming UC with a partner then they will be able to claim carers element.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Carley2830_
    Carley2830_ Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for the quick response I did leave a journal message and the reply was the centre were waiting for the caring to be updated, when I replied to say I was asking about the letter I received on the 7th August she then said she didn't mention anything about the carers element I feel like I'm going round in circles.

    I will pop another message in regards to the payment again and see if I get a better response.

    No I don't claim anything for myself so that should be fine and have always told UC I care for my son.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.